patriotic feeling

< Previous | Next >

piercedsnake

Korean
Hi, I'm watching 'Brokeback Mountain'.

There's something that I understand.

The following is the dialogue between two bad-tempered bikers.

BIKER #1 Woowee! Look at this crowd! There's bound to be lots of pussy on the hoof in a crowd like this.
BIKER #2 All swelled up with patriotic feeling and ready to be humped like a frog!
BIKER #1 So where do you figure the most pussy is at? Las Vegas or California?
BIKER #2 Hell, I don't know but if you make it between Montana and Wyoming? I'd take Wyoming in a minute...

I know the dominant atmosphere and what they want to say.

But I don't know what they mention 'patriotic feeling'.

Can you answer me?

• sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    Partiotic feeling means feeling pride for your country.

Many Americans felt it was their patriotic duty to buy bonds to support the war effort.

piercedsnake

Korean
    Of course, I know what 'patriotic feeling' is. But I don't understand why they mentioned it in this context. Can you explain to me?

Alby84

American English
    My guess is that this was said at a 4th of July celebration or some other "patriotic" event, in which case, one tends to be "swelling with patriotic pride." The girls are most likely drunk or in a mood to "party."

JustKate

Alby's suggestion is a possibility, but I think it's slightly more likely that the bikers are speculating that the patriotic feelings might make the girls feel sentimental, and they think this sentimentality increases their chances of getting laid (having sex). I haven't seen this movie in a long time and I have no recollection of this scene, so I very well could be wrong, but it all sounds like silly macho posturing to me - a couple of guys speculating on how great their chances are of finding a sexual partner in the crowd.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >