patron - contexte médical

eamesj

England, English
Hi,

I am translating a medical journal article on pulmonology and am not sure what the word 'patrons' means in the following sentences:

"La prévention rencontre aujourd'hui la zone d'intérêt de certains 'patrons'".

"La réduction des poussées infectueuses aiguës de la bronchite chronique, qui exige des cures hivernales d'antibiotiques, trouve dans l'immunomodulation une indication défendue par une autre 'patron' parisien".

I have no idea what 'patron' could be here - my only suggestion is perhaps 'sponsor', but this is just a guess!

I'd be very grateful if anyone can help - many thanks!

• atcheque

français (France)
    Bonjour,

Are you sure it is a medical context? Could it be about employers? Taking care of their interest (I mean the interest of their employees ;) )

LART01

French-France
    Hi,

I am translating a medical journal article on pulmonology and am not sure what the word 'patrons' means in the following sentences:

"La prévention rencontre aujourd'hui la zone d'intérêt de certains 'patrons'".

"La réduction des poussées infectueuses aiguës de la bronchite chronique, qui exige des cures hivernales d'antibiotiques, trouve dans l'immunomodulation une indication défendue par une autre 'patron' parisien".

I have no idea what 'patron' could be here - my only suggestion is perhaps 'sponsor', but this is just a guess!

I'd be very grateful if anyone can help - many thanks!
    Hello

rencontre la zone d'intérêt is very bad French...Anyway, could these patrons be leading experts in that field?

eamesj

England, English
    Bonjour, thanks for getting back. Yes, the context is definitely medical, as we can see from the context of the two sentences. It is really important that I get the translation right. My attempt is: Immunomodulation has been indicated by another Parisian “sponsor” for the reduction of outbreaks of acute chronic bronchitis requiring treatment with antibiotics during the winter months.

eamesj

England, English
    Hi, yes "leading experts" is definitely a possibility! I was thinking along those lines too. Do you think this is more likely than 'sponsors'? Also, is "currently a topic of interest amongst...." the right translation of rencontre la zone d'intérêt ?

Liloo6

Français
    Hi eamesj,

I kind of agree with atcheque, I don't believe these "patrons" refers to a real medical context. Here, I think that the quotation mark to talk about them isn't innocent.
    My guess (according to the context - antibiotics and medecine) is that they might be talking about some people in the pharmaceutical industry or less specific high-placed people in the medical (or not) field.

But maybe I'm totally off topic :rolleyes:

YvDa

French - Belgium
    I understand "patron" in the sense of the head of a hospital department. The one whose advice is de facto authoritative in medical circles. A kind of "big boss" if you like, even though I wouldn't translate as such. Possibly "medical authority" ?

Last edited:

Uncle Bob

British English
    I agree with YvDa and the "zone d'intérêt" doesn't refer to their employees but to the field covered by their department (cardiology, pediatrics...).
    (None of the usual hospital departments would touch preventive medicine, only dealing with patients once they had got whatever it is but apparently now they, or some of them, are getting involved in immunomodulation).

Nevertheless I'm not sure which meaning of "défendue" is being used here.

wistou

French - France
    Hi,

For me "patron" is clearly referring to a medical authority in an hospital organisation, as explained by YvDa. It is a common term in the hospital jargon.

(Example from the press : "Hôpital de metz: le patron de la cardiologie suspendu après un rapport accablant"

And I also agree with YvDa when he proposes "défendue" as "being supported by the other expert".

eamesj

England, English
    Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I was starting to think that 'patron' may be something like a pharmaceutical company in this context but now I am veering more towards 'medical expert' of something like that. As immunomodulators are medicinal drugs, I wasn't sure if 'patron' was referring to the pharmaceutical companies that manufacture them or the doctors who administer them.

Could anyone confirm if this translation of the sentence with 'indication defendue' in it is OK:

"The idea that infectious outbreaks of acute chronic bronchitis.... can be reduced by immunomodulation is supported by another Paris-based 'expert'".

Apologies for the many questions, but I'm finding this text extremely hard!

Many thanks!

< Previous | Next >