patron de bistrot

Nil-the-Frogg

Français (France)
Hello.

In French, "le patron" is both the owner of a pub and the (or one of the) bartender(s). It is used in an expression like "c'est la tournée du patron", for instance, meaning that he offers drinks.

In my context, someone enters a pub and says to a bartender: "Je voudrais voir le patron." I don't know if I should use "boss" or "owner". Or maybe something better?

• floise

U.S.;English
    Nil-the-Frogg,

To me, that means the 'boss'. If it were the owner that was being sought, the person would have specified 'propriétaire'.

floise

harbottle

Australia; English
    I would ask to see "the manager" usually, if it is a retail chain. For a pub I would ask "who's in charge here?" and then when answered, ask to see that person.

cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    Surely the boss and the owner would be the one and same, in the context of a pub? If not, I'm tempted to agree that the "person in charge" might fit the bill best. A pub owner is fine, but a pub boss sounds a little weird to me.

Nil-the-Frogg

Français (France)
    Thank you all!

But I am guilty for not providing enough context -again :eek:

This pub is actually owned by a mafia lord who is of course not bothering with bar tending himself. It is this person the visitor really wants to see, but he obviously not want to ask for Mr Supervillain when other customers can ear. In French, it is easy since "patron" means both "publican" or "licensee" and "boss", making the question look pretty genuine.

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    In Chicago you will find some REpublicans, but no publican (this word doesn't exist in AE).

I would just say, "I'd like to speak with the manager." Then when I met that person, I would ask, "Are you also the owner?"

If the person in charge also happens to be the owner, so be it. But it's unlikely that in Chicago that would frequently be the case. Most bars in the US are bigger busineses than that--Mafia or no.

gamone

Australia, English
    In Chicago you will find some REpublicans, but no publican (this word doesn't exist in AE).
    The word "publican" does in fact exist in American English, but not with the same sense as in present-day Australia. The New Testament (King James version) describes Jesus as "a friend of publicans and sinners". In the Revised English version, the term is replaced by "tax-collector". As a youth, I always found it amusing that my ancestors who owned and ran pubs in New South Wales might be imagined as Biblical tax-collectors.

< Previous | Next >