Patron of the school?

< Previous | Next >
Some schools and universities are named after particular significat historical figures. For instance, St Catherine's College, Oxford, was named after Saint Catherine of Alexandria. The Winston Churchill School in Woking, England was named after the great British prime minister. The Copernicus University in Toruń, Poland, bears the name of the famous Polish scientist, and so on.

In Poland we call the people after whom educational institutions are named patrons. In English it appears that this term is reserved for other contexts and the only corresponding term I could find so far is the word eponym. It is however a Greek and a rather technical term and I was wondering whether there is any more "Anglo-saxon" equivalent? :)

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Traditional English schools and colleges tend to be named for the founder - Balliol, Downing, King's, Queens'. The person actually endowed the college with funds and a trust to maintain it. A modern school named after a person, not by their doing, I don't know - I think I'd say eponym too.

Andygc

British English
    It is not a widely used word, and would probably not be recognized by the majority of English speakers. Winston Churchill is the eponym of a school in Woking is correct but I think would usually be met with puzzlement. The usual BE form would be The school was named after Winston Churchill - but I think that you already know that.

< Previous | Next >