patron

< Previous | Next >

yuechu

Canada, English
Hello!
I was recently reading "Epistle from Mrs. Yonge to Her Husband" by Montagu and had a question about the following verses:

No softening mercy there will take my part,
Nor can a woman’s arguments prevail,
When even your patron’s wise example fails.

Does anyone know what "patron" means in this context?
Thanks!

Last edited:
  • I'm not sure this is a language question. I suspect it means the woman's husband.
    ((ADDED LATER [10-20]: See below; 'patron' means the husband's patron, Walpole.))

This gist of the poem seems to be that the wife finds it impossible to argue against or oppose the husband, who rules by (alleged) right. So appealing to his own example--You were so wise, sir, when you did xxx-- will fail to change his course.

ADDED: From the 'net I gather the poem is not just protesting that husbands are always right; there was a particular situation which made the point salient .

Epistle From Mrs Yonge To Her Husband Lady Mary Wortley Montagu - Figurative Language

A noted womanizer [and adulterer], Yonge separated from Mary in 1724 and revealed in great detail her adulterous relationship, including having her love letters read aloud during legal proceedings. While he paid no penalty for his betrayal, the court found Mary Yonge guilty and ordered that her dowry and an additional large financial sum be paid to her husband.

Last edited:

yuechu

Canada, English
    I originally thought it was referring to her husband (but couldn't find this definition the dictionary). Thanks for your help, bennymix!

< Previous | Next >