patronage

Prisca22

English - USA
Hi all you geniuses out there :D

I need to translate the following sentence and am not sure how to translate "patronage". The context is a letter to a foreign ambassador to the UNESCO requesting his sponsorship??? of a gala evening at the UNEXCO.

J’aimerais m’entretenir avec vous pour vous demander le patronage de cette soirée, et vous présenter nos projets pour l'année 2010-2011.

My attempt: I would like to discuss with you the possibility of obtaining your sponsorship for this evening, and present you with our projects for 2010-2011.
Would the word patronage in English be better?
Thanks in advance.

• LivingTree

Banned
    English - Canadian
    I would think they are asking him to be a patron. Charitable campaigns and events often refer to major donors as "patrons". I think the capacity could be assigned even without goods or services changing hands, just to have the patron lend their prestige to the event.

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/patron

"someone who supports or champions something"

It doesn't lend itself well to conversion into "patronage", which is used to refer to giving a business one's custom, more.

Prisca22

English - USA
    Thank you for ruling "patronage" out. The ambassador would not be making a financial donation to the event, but lending his prestige. In that sense, sponsor and patron would be synonyms, I think...

< Previous | Next >