pay fee at / in the office

pera_palas

Turkish
Hi,
In the sentence below which preposition is correct?

"You may pay your fee at the Student Union office" or should I say "in the Student Union office"?

• owlman5

English-US
    You should be safe using either one, Pera Palas. I use "at" more when I'm just referring to a general location. Using "in" is also OK in this sentence.

mangoman

British English
    You should be safe using either one, Pera Palas. I use "at" more when I'm just referring to a general location. Using "in" is also OK in this sentence.

I agree.

You might prefer "at", if there is a separate department within the Student Union that deals with these matters, and "in" if the arrangements there are more informal. But either would sound fine in either case.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    The picture that comes to my mind is that for 'in' you have to go into the office, and then you'll find somewhere where you can pay. 'At' would be appropriate if, as payment centres often do, they had a counter adjoining the corridor or room where you are and the office where they are: you don't need to go in the office, but you're paying at the office (at the counter).

pera_palas

Turkish
    Thank you for the explanation. I guess it is more like students will go into the room assigned to the Student Union and make their payments in more informal style. It is not such a big room, so I doubt if there is another specific place for payment within the room. So I guess "in" would be much appropriate here.