pay for the shop / queuing?

duden

Slovak
Hello, I just want to ask about two expressions - is it possible to say that somebody "pays for the shop" at the cash desk in a shoping centre? Or is it correct to say "to pay for the groceries" (groceries are used only in case he buys only food or also in case he has bought e.g. some electric device)? Or does he simply pay for the goods?
And before he can pay for that, does he stand the queue, or is he just queuing?
Thank you in advance for helping!

• jdenson

USA / English
    Hello, I just want to ask about two expressions - is it possible to say that somebody "pays for the shop" at the cash desk in a shoping centre? Or is it correct to say "to pay for the groceries" (groceries are used only in case he buys only food or also in case he has bought e.g. some electric device)? Or does he simply pay for the goods?
    In the U.S., a person "pays for the shop" only if he buys a shop (a store). If you buy groceries, you pay for your groceries. You can also pay for your purchases.
    "Stand in the queue" is British English. In the U.S., we stand in line.
    JD

Victoria32

English (UK) New Zealand
    You can say he/she "pays for the shopping", otherwise, that he pays for the groceries, or his/her purchase(s). The goods also works, but sounds like a company's purchases.

He/she "stands in the queue"..

elroy

Moderator: EHL, Arabic, Hebrew, German(-Spanish)
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    The easiest way to say it is "check out."

And yes, in the US you stand or wait "in line."