(pay one's dues) synonyms

powerfort

Tagalog
I recently encountered a phrase which I couldn't remember and it's very synonymous to the idiomatic expression: pay one's dues, which means, to have earned one's right to something through hard work or suffering.

If you could provide me a list of phrasal verbs or idiomatic expressions that will denote the same meaning as the main phrase I just mentioned, I would really appreciate it. Thanks a lot.

• powerfort

Tagalog
    SwissPete, I apologize but I did not understand your question. You just gave two specific meanings of pay one's dues. Alas, that's not what I was asking for. I was looking for another phrase or idiomatic expression that's synonymous with pay one's dues. Nonetheless, thank you for your response.

Last edited:

powerfort

Tagalog
    I finally remembered it. It's:

come into (one's) own
    , which means to obtain rightful recognition or prosperity: a concert pianist who has at last come into his own.

Thanks again everyone.

robjc123

English = Irish American also Spanish
    I recently encountered a phrase which I couldn't remember and it's very synonymous to the idiomatic expression: pay one's dues, which means, to have earned one's right to something through hard work or suffering.

If you could provide me a list of phrasal verbs or idiomatic expressions that will denote the same meaning as the main phrase I just mentioned, I would really appreciate it. Thanks a lot.
    cut one's teeth ?

< Previous | Next >