pays attention to details

• Arrius

English, UK
    Your sentence is rather strange, but I think you want "a meticulous person". Slightly less positive " a fastidious person".

jessiej

Chinese
    it seems all the words are used to discribe a unpleasant character. is there anything positive?

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I don't think either of Arrius's suggestions is negative. Many people would like to be called meticulous, or fastidious. I see a difference between them, however:

Meticulous applies to detail in work - getting everything exactly right. Mathematicians need to be meticulous.

Fastidious applies to detail in dress or food, for instance. I knew someone who preferred to die of bowel cancer, than to have an operation which would have left him with a colostomy bag. We could describe that decision as showing how fastidious he was, but not say that this showed he was meticulous.

Last edited:

Packard

USA, English
    Pedantic (negative implications) Sees things narrowly in detail.

Detail-oriented (negative/positive). I hyphenate this, but strictly speaking it is 2 words. Some people will feel that a detail-oriented person might not see the "big picture" (the overall situation).

sutfei

Chinese

meticulous

One entry found.

Main Entry:me·tic·u·lous Pronunciation: \mə-ˈti-kyə-ləs\ Function:adjective Etymology:Latin meticulosus fearful, irregular from metus fearDate:1827 : marked by extreme or excessive care in the consideration or treatment of details <a meticulous researcher> synonyms see careful

sylerner

English - US
    While not a literal match, colloquially the term "obsessive compulsive" is used to described this type of behavior.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    We quite a long way away from the OP of this thread. A "person who pays attention to details" sounds in no way negative to me. "Meticulous" and "thorough" have already been suggested. A person who pays attention to details in the sense of being extraordinarily aware of detail might be called "perceptive".

Xavier da Silva

Hello everyone,

I am going to ask this question here as the context is the same on the thread (O.P). My question: Is it natural/correct to use "detail" in the examples I made below, meaning/context (= pay attention to details)?

a. Mary is a detail woman.
    b. John is a detail man.
    c. I am a detail person.
    d. I am not a detail person.

Thank you in advance!

Myridon

English - US
    It is possible to say informally "I am an X person" with almost any adjective or noun ("I'm a dog person"), but it would be much better in this case to say "a detail-oriented person." It's clearer and we know that you don't detail cars (clean and polish all the small details of a car) for a living.

< Previous | Next >