Pcb

belellizio

italy, italian
Could anybody help me with this abbreviation? "PCB" context: "potential PCB contamination in soil". I guess something about PolyCarbonate... PolyCyclic... or similar

GRAZIE!
Fabrizio

• lizzeymac

English - USA
    polychlorinated biphenyls

Very nasty stuff.

It is a toxic industrial chemical, it was excreted in industrial wastewater into streams & sewer systems in America - & other places I imagine - & contamined groundwater & streams & lakes & continued on to the oceans.

People drank the contaminated wellwater & swam in these lakes & ate the fish they caught in these streams.
    The chemical is retained in the fatty tissues in fish and in the animals that eat fish like eagles & otters, etc..
    PCBs are also absorbed into the silt & mud on the bottom of rivers & lakes.
    It takes decades if not longer to dissolve or break down so it must be dredged out. It is somewhat similar to dioxin.

The United States Environmental Protection Agnency has a fact sheet on the subject (in English).

http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/hazwaste/minimize/factshts/pcb-fs.pdf

I believe that if you Google "PCB" - all capital letters - & the word "chemical" in most languages Google should be able to return some relevant sites. You might also add the word "Monsanto" - this corporation was the major source of PCB pollution in America.

Take care -

< Previous | Next >