pch

mediamanu

italian - italy
hi, someone knows what "pch" stands for?
ex. Sorry I’m late. You wouldn’t believe the PCH!

many thanks

• maxiogee

Banned
    imithe
    mediamanu said:
    hi, someone knows what "pch" stands for?
    ex. Sorry I’m late. You wouldn’t believe the PCH!

many thanks
    I'm sorry, mediamanu, but all our mind-readers have left for the evening.
    Could you please give us more context. :)

mediamanu

italian - italy
    thank you but that's everything I have.. somebody is late because of this "pch" and I need to translate that.. but have no idea about what that is!

kayokid

English, USA
    Hello.
    This is just a wild guess. Is the person talking about the traffic on the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH)?

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    mediamanu said:
    thank you but that's everything I have.. somebody is late because of this "pch" and I need to translate that.. but have no idea about what that is!
    I am surprised that you cannot offer any context at all. What book or magazine or journal or website contains the sentence?

What is the topic of the text?

Somehow this snippet found its way into your hands. It would be conceivable but remarkable if you were to know absolutely nothing about the source.

But...if, as you say, that's all you have, then I'll suggest that pch stands for a military press office.

PRESS CAMP HEADQUARTERS (PCH): A public affairs unit whose primary mission is to set up, operate and maintain news media centers at corps level and above.
    How's that for a wild guess?

mediamanu

italian - italy
    thank you so much to everybody, it's probably the pacific coast highway. I'm translating a dialogue, that's just a line, there is no connection to the rest of the script. but that's probably the right meaning. thanks a million!!

maxiogee

Banned
    imithe
    mediamanu said:
    thank you so much to everybody, it's probably the pacific coast highway. I'm translating a dialogue, that's just a line, there is no connection to the rest of the script. but that's probably the right meaning. thanks a million!!
    Is the dialogue taking place near the Pacific? That just might be a clue.
    The setting for the dialogue is the context cuchuflete was asking for.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    mediamanu said:
    Ahhh...so there is a script...and it has enough clues to lead you to believe that the Pacific Coast Highway is plausible.
    Well just to give a little food for thought, California, where the Pacific Coast Highway sits, is loaded with dozens of military bases. Many of these have press offices.

Thanks for reminding us that there is no useful context.

TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    I've been watching the TV series Veronica Mars for a while now and never realized that the gang called the PCH-ers was so-named because of the Pacific Coast Highway (which another site just confirmed). Thanks, mediamanu! :)

Elizabeth

mediamanu

italian - italy
    you're welcome, trentina-ne. happy to be of help. and, bye the way, for cuchuflete and u all, I finished reading the script, the setting is california. you were right!! thank you!!

WR Rule #22 - Except as a topic of discussion, chatspeak and SMS style are not acceptable. Members must do their best to write using standard language forms. <<This includes using capital letters where appropriate.>>

< Previous | Next >