pcs.

belano75

Spanish - Spain
Hello,

I don't know the meaning of this abreviattion: pcs. Can you help me?

The context. A customer sent a e-mail to me, and she said:
"Here my first order (each one pcs. each size)
9713 size 36, 37
9714 size 35, 36"
(We buy shoes)

Thanks in advance!

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    That's my initial reaction too. I've seen pcs. with that meaning on invoices.
    Of course, being shoes it probably means one pair:) - or perhaps not!!

NealMc

UK English
    Hi
    pcs would mean pieces which would mean units in this instance.

A pair of shoes could be a unit, a ton of shoes could be a unit, a gross of shoes could be a unit - depends how they package them.
    ....But a piece should only ever be one pair of shoes.

Cheers
    Neal Mc

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    It is probably a typographical error by your customer.

You said "(We buy shoes)" --- do you mean (We sell shoes)?

It might be advisable for you to confirm her order in your own phrasing.

I wish to confirm your order for four pairs of shoes, one pair each of:-
    size 36, model 9713
    size 37, model 9713
    size 35, model 9714
    size 36, model 9714
    I am not a native English-speaker and do not understand what you meant by "pcs" as we only sell shoes in pairs.

I presume that you don't sell individual shoes, but looking at the sizes, it is just possible that your customer is trying to buy shoes for differently sized feet - one of theor feet may be a bit bigger than the other - and is really only trying to buy two pairs of shoes.

nycphotography

American English
    maxiogee said:
    I presume that you don't sell individual shoes, but looking at the sizes, it is just possible that your customer is trying to buy shoes for differently sized feet - one of theor feet may be a bit bigger than the other - and is really only trying to buy two pairs of shoes.

If that were the case, wouldn't the customer have likely indicated which size was intended for which foot? :D

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Yes, but as the customer appears to have made some sort of a mistake, I was just looking at what the options were. It does seem odd that any customer would want to buy two different styles across three foot sizes.
    I can't help feeling that the customer is going to send back several shoes for some reason after they arrive.
    I don't think the problem is an English-language one, it's a "bolshie customer" problem.

belano75

Spanish - Spain
    Hello, first of all thanks to everybody for your help.
    When I said "we buy shoes" I did a mistake. I wanted to say "we sell shoes".
    I don't think my customer wants a different size for each foot. I don't know if this is possible for footwear's manufacturers for disabled people. But in a common firm (as we are) that would be very very strange -at least I have never seen in my job-, and so if you are asking for something very strange you have to explain it clearly. (But I have also learned in my job that customers can always surprise you).
    What means "bolshie customer"? Something like "annoying customer"?