pe baza

< Previous | Next >

Dymn

I don't understand the role of "pe baza" in this sentence. What form of the verb is "baza" and why is it used together with "pe" in here? Is it a construction I'm not aware of? This is the most plausible translation I've come up with but I still don't understand it.

A fost regizat de Sam Raimi pe baza unui scenariu scris de Raimi împreună cu fratele său mai mare Ivan și cu Alvin Sargent.
It was directed by Sam Raimi and based on a script written by Raimi along with his older brother Ivan and Alvin Sargent.

Mulțumesc

• farscape

mod-errare humanum est
    Romanian
    If you drop the "and" - missing in the Romanian version - then you have "based on" which is a decent translation.

I get that you're looking for a verb and here it is:

A fost regizat de Sam Raimi bazat pe un scenariu...

using a se baza (reflexive form). Check out the conjugation here.

farscape

mod-errare humanum est
    Romanian
    Baza în "pe baza" it's a noun therefore a direct translation would be "on the basis of". To make sense in English I had to add words 😎

As with any translation you have to ask yourself what's more important: the meaning or to stay true to form?

You have to keep your tenses and action synchronized so "bazat pe" (past tense) is what you should use, as opposed to "se bazează pe" (present tense).

danielstan

Romanian - Romania
    Let's try a French translation because it would be more intuitive:

A fost regizat de Sam Raimi pe baza unui scenariu scris de Raimi împreună cu fratele său mai mare Ivan și cu Alvin Sargent.
    Il a été dirigé par Sam Raimi sur la base d'un scénario écrit par Raimi avec son frère aîné Ivan et Alvin Sargent.

As you notice baza is a noun in accusative and what follows (unui scenariu) is a noun in genitive case preceded by an indefinite article.

Indeed the noun baza (which is in fact bază merged with the definite article -a) (stress on first syllable) has the same spelling as the reflexive verb a se baza at infinitive (stress is on last syllable).
    All Romanian infinitives have the stress on last syllable.

Last edited:

Zareza

Romanian
    Except for third conjugation verbs, right?
    Right !

Verbele limbii române se clasifică în 4 conjugări după sufixul la infinitiv prezent:
    1. Conjugarea I: sufixul "a"
      a trasa, a lua, a învăța
    2. Conjugarea a II-a: sufixul "ea"
      a bea, a ședea, a vedea
    3. Conjugarea a III-a: sufixul "e"
      a merge, a crede, a spune
    4. Conjugarea a IV-a: sufixul "i" sau "î"
      a ști, a citi, a urî, a izvorî

< Previous | Next >