peasant women rustled strings of onions

< Previous | Next >

sumayah

Arabic
Please what's the meaning of this sentence:
Peasant men traded birch logs as white as chalk; peasant women rustled strings of onions

Are they making strings of onions?

• sumayah

Arabic
    In the Town of Berdichev - short story by Grossman

Sighing, he went on his way, and there remained in the house only women and children. The cauldron of the Yatki went on bubbling all through the day. Peasant men traded birch logs as white as chalk; peasant women rustled strings of onions; old Jewish women sat above downy hillocks of geese tied together by their legs.Every now and then a seller would pluck from one of these splendid white flowers a living petal with a snaking, twisting neck—and the buyer would blow on the tender down between its legs and feel the fat that showed yellow beneath the soft warm skin.

sumayah

Arabic
    Me too. but what those women do? may be they are shaken it or clean it from dust!
    I have no idea

Thanks for your reply

Copyright

American English
    Me too. but what those women do? may be they are shaken it or clean it from dust!
    I have no idea
    I don't think we really know. They could be carrying them, selling them, creating them by weaving them together -- any of those actions could cause a rustling sound. I'm not sure the exact activity is important ... at least for my own pleasure in reading the passage, but I can see where it might trouble a translator. :)

I wouldn't think they would be shaking dust off them -- onions are protected already and you peel them before you use them, so dust would not be a problem ... and too much handling would cause the outer protective layers to flake off; I don't think they would want that to happens.

< Previous | Next >