Pedagogical?

< Previous | Next >

Xeniaxyz

Sweden, swedish
Hi,

At work we have discussed if there is a good word describing a person that has a talent of teaching, meaning teaching other people in a structured way using a pedagogical method.
The words 'pedagogic' and 'pedagogical' exist in Swedish as describing the person as being 'pedagogic' and doing her work in a 'pedagogical' way - but talking to my English coworkers they don't use the words and do not have a word corresponging to what I want to express.
Looking in a dictionary, the words exist, but are they used in every day life?
Or how would you express this normally?

Thanks!
Xenia

• Loob

English UK
    Hi Xenia and welcome to the forums:)

"Pedagogic" and "pedagogical" are technical terms.

I think the word you're looking for is "professional":

She's a highly professional teacher.
    She works in a professional way.

Of course, professionalism is not restricted to teachers...

Loob

Elwintee

England English
    Hi,

At work we have discussed if there is a good word describing a person that has a talent of teaching, meaning teaching other people in a structured way using a pedagogical method.
    The words 'pedagogic' and 'pedagogical' exist in Swedish as describing the person as being 'pedagogic' and doing her work in a 'pedagogical' way - but talking to my English coworkers they don't use the words and do not have a word corresponging to what I want to express.
    Looking in a dictionary, the words exist, but are they used in every day life?
    Or how would you express this normally?

Thanks!
    Xenia
    I agree with a later post that 'professional' is perhaps the nearest term, but I am bothered about this emphasis on pedagogical structure. Surely the highest form of praise is to say that someone is 'a good teacher'. Whatever method works for the individual student is right.

ayupshiplad

Scotland, English
    In all honesty, I don't know how common it is in English. I have heard the word used and have used it myself, but I don't know whether that is because their are similar French and German words which are considered less formal than the English one. However, in such a context, I don't think it would sound strange at all! :)

Matching Mole

England, English
    I wouldn't say that they are used every day, but it your description is formal, or as Loob says, technical, then the words might be appropriate. If the mood of your text is quite informal, they may well sound out of place or perhaps - to use a word I seem to be reading a lot lately - bombastic.

Xeniaxyz

Sweden, swedish
    Thanks to you all!

I appreciate the responses!

Merry Christmas! .. or as we say in Sweden: God Jul!
    Xenia

ps this is truly a great forum. A wonderful way to learn how to use the language and get feed back!

< Previous | Next >