Peer area [on website]

< Previous | Next >

Hakkar

Italian
What is the "peer area" of a website? I'm in the process of translating a website and I bumped on this expression. To whom is this section addresed? It is an environmental website.

• sdgraham

USA English
    Do you have any more information, Hakar?

"Peer" has more than one meaning, especially since there's "peer-to-peer" networking in the world of computers.

Hakkar

Italian
    No, unfortunately. I have tried looking on their website but I have not found this expression anywhere, so i don't know. Is it a common expression on american websites? Can anyone help me out?

Myridon

English - US
    I have tried looking on their website but I have not found this expression anywhere, so i don't know. Is it a common expression on american websites? Can anyone help me out?
    You must have found it on the website once or you wouldn't be asking about it. Is it a totally blank page that just says "Peer Area"?
    No, it's not a common expression.

Hakkar

Italian
    It does exist somewhere apparently, but I don't know where, or at least members (like myself) don't have access to it. They gave me a txt document to translate so I don't have the power to access their website and and edit it.

Last edited:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    There is one website that has a Peer and a Commoner area. In this case, Peer is a member of the nobility.

Hakkar

Italian
    There is another sentence that gets me in trouble:
    Websites for donation from peers and companies. So apparently, these peers are people who actively engage with this environmental company. Anyway, this is the source : http://www.giveet.org/

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I think it is a strange use of peer - a peer is someone who is your equal; someone of roughly the same age and background. In English, we would not normally use that word in this context.

I notice that the Dutch site has
    WEBSITES VOOR HET BIJDRAGEN VAN INDIVIDUELEN EN ONDERMIJNINGEN
    = Websites for contributions from individuals and companies. Also, the legend on the graphics use word Particulieren = individuals; the French site uses the French "particulier" which is also individual.

This is as distinct from companies/businesses.

The Peer area is therefore hard to translate - it means something like "The Individuals' Area" (as opposed to the area for companies.)

Hakkar

Italian
    Doesn't particular (I have read just now the homepage in spanish and french) also mean "private"? or am i wrong? I know this is going offtopic though, but i'm trying to get the most accurate translation possible.

Valvs

Russian
    I think the front page of the site in question is self-explanatory. There is a section dedicated to peer-to-peer donations, and there is another section dedicated to donations and sales by companies. The former is referred to as "Peer area". I.e. if you are a private person and have some objects to donate, that is the section of the site where you register. I am sure it can be safely translated as "The area of/for individuals" or something like that, whatever is idiomatic in your language.

< Previous | Next >