Korean
Hi!

Does this sentence make sense?

"He peered at his peers smoke/smoking cigarettes."

meaning, "He looked at his friends smoke/ smoking cigarettes."

Thank you for help.

• Copyright

American English
    It is odd -- and possibly amusing for a split second -- but it makes sense, yes. You'll want "smoking" and it's even better in present tense: He peers at his peers smoking elephant ears.

Last edited:

Hermione Golightly

British English
    It looks like an artificial sentence, lacking context, apparently designed to illustrate two meanings of 'peer', but 'peer' the noun is not a synonym for 'friend' and doesn't translate as 'friend', while 'peer' the verb means more than 'look'.

I can't however claim that it makes absolutely no sense. It has more content than, say, "He peers at the peers" or "He peers at his peers". The purpose of the sentence can only be to learn vocabulary and develop an awareness of words that are spelt the same and sound the same, but have different meanings.

Edit
    I got interrupted and so, rather behind with the exchange. :)

:)
    Hermione

jakartaman

Korean
    Thanks for your input, Hermione. I know what you mean. To be honest, I'm looking for an easier way to memorize the word, "peer." So my sentence may sound artificial but as long as it make sense, it serves its purpose.

jakartaman

Korean
    mplsray, I said "friend" to make the rephrasing easy. I couldn't think of any one-word synonym for "peer" used as a noun.

< Previous | Next >