Peer (-?) reviewed

< Previous | Next >

Perticona

Italian
What about a paper that has been published after a peer review? "It has been peer-reviewed" or "it has been peer reviewed"? I find both expressions, but I do not know whether one is wrong/worst.
Of course, I give for granted that we shall write "This is a peer-reviewed paper" (adjective).
Thank you!

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    There is often no right and wrong, and often no preference, for things like this. Write whichever you like. It isn't important.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    In the noun "peer review", the noun "peer" modifies "review", so it's completely grammatical without a hyphen. But technically, in the verb "peer-review" you would have to use a hyphen, since a verb can't consist of a noun modifying a verb. Anyway, "peer review" is used as a verb and considered correct.

se16teddy

English - England
    I think Fowler advises (advised?) to use a hyphen when a compound adjective is formed of noun+participle or noun+adjective, such as accident-prone, acid-free, child-proof, computer-literate, future-proof, user-friendly, computer-aided, custom-built, hand-operated, data-handling, pressure-reducing, stress-relieving. I still follow this advice.

Last edited:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    As far as Fowler's advice and guidance goes, it is fair enough but there are odd phrases that maintain an older collocation.

The transition of collocated words is that they start as separate, but felicitously appropriate, words; they are taken on as common "expressions"; they assume a unique meaning; they become hyphenated and then one word.

As "peer reviewed" resides in the formality of academe, evolution will be slower.

< Previous | Next >