"peer support model of management"

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Meredith_R, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Meredith_R Senior Member

Canada, English
    Could you please tell me what the French equivalent of "peer support model of management" would be? It is found in the following context: "on-site 8 bed group home for psychiatric consumers following a peer support model of management". Thank you.

2. french4beth

french4beth Senior Member

Connecticut
    US-English
    management model = modèle de gestion

3. xav

xav Senior Member

Paris
    France
    ? Is that a joke ?

un traitement (???) consistant à vivre en équipe non hiérarchisée et à pratiquer le soutien mutuel ????

Ces psychiatric consumers me laissent pantois.

4. EmmaPeel Senior Member

Toulouse, France
    France - French
    My try....
    "Sur place, un foyer pour 8, pour les patients psychiatriques suivant un modèle (de gestion) basé sur le soutien mutuel" :confused:

5. texasweed

texasweed Banned

French-born/US English
    Not a joke, XAV. Some Countries are not as backward as...others. Ahem. Support groups are hot in some parts of the world.

Soutien émotionnel

6. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    Is gestion used to refer to the management of a medical case? That is, model of management refers here to a style of treatment rather than an administrative kind of thing. It could very well be right, I just wanted to check.
    Une suivie comes to mind, but I'm not sure whether it fits either.

7. ganieda

ganieda Senior Member

it depends
    french
    je pense que gestion peut passer dans ce cas aussi,
    les medecins du travail nous parlent bien de gestion du stress, et les psy de gerer nos émotions...:rolleyes:

8. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    Merci bien.

9. xav

xav Senior Member

Paris
    France
    Je n'ai rien contre l'idée, c'est le langage qui me paraît comique :
    ce "modèle de management" de "clients psychotiques"...!
    :)

10. french4beth

french4beth Senior Member

Connecticut
    US-English
    "Gestion" appears in many different areas as a meaning of management; not only medical, but in finance, computers, etc.

xav - psychiatric does not necessarily mean psychotic! I think it means that there are support groups, not just individual treatments (I'm thinking of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" with shock treatment, heavy meds, etc.!) I don't think it means that the patients are running the mental health facility, just that they're all being treated & housed together.

11. DuDu67 New Member

English - Canadian
    "Peer support" refers to the support that people with similar experiences and health issues provide for one another. It is not used exclusively within the context of mental health, but it has emerged in that area as a particularly effective way to assist people with mental health issues. It does not mean that people with mental health issues are all being "treated and housed together". It means that people are empowered to support one another rather than only being "treated" by "professionals".