pegging the plot

jacdac

Lebanese
Back at Tain, he found Vicki Hewitt in the garden, sifting through the debris close to the wall. It was midday, but there was hardly any light and in her scene-suit she looked like a small, white ghost in the gloom.
<…>
I’m bagging as much as I can and pegging the plot, taking lots of photos. If you follow behind me and mark up the bags, that would speed us up.’
Source: Cold Earth by Ann Cleeves
Context: Vicki is the Crime Scene Investigator (CSI). Few days earlier, there was a landslide and a croft property known as Tain was washed away and wrecked. During the landslip, a dead woman was spotted in the tide of mud and subsequently the pathologist ascertained that she was murdered before the landslide. In this scene, detective constable Sandy arrived to the scene to support the CSI.

What does pegging the plot mean?

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • heypresto

English - England
    I think it means that she was marking the positions of the bits and pieces she was picking up. These would be bagged and labelled and taken off for forensic study. I guess she's sticking little pegs in the ground as markers, each one numbered to correspond with the bagged items.

I'm only going on what I've seen in various TV cop dramas.

< Previous | Next >