Pejorative, offensive terms for people (UK)

< Previous | Next >

hmidajdi

Croatia
could anyone who's familiar with London slang list the following terms of address starting from the most insultive (I suppose that would be 'cunt') and ending with the least insultive one:muppet, fairy, twat, toff, slag, wanker poof, nonce, tit, sucker, tart, prick, cunt, wop, sod, mincer.
I'm student of english in Croatia, and I need this information for one of my seminar papers.Thanks

• Becky85

England, English
    most insulting: c*** (NOTE THIS IS VERY OFFENSIVE!!!), twat, wanker, prick, tit, slag, tart, poof, fairy, mincer, sod, sucker (unless used following other words to do with male genitals in which case it would be more insulting!), nonce, toff, fairy, muppet.

I'm unfamiliar with 'wop'.

This word order is just in my opinion, others may differ!

Tomas Robinson

USA, English & Spanish
    Becky85 said:
    most insulting: c*** (NOTE THIS IS VERY OFFENSIVE!!!), twat, wanker, prick, tit, slag, tart, poof, fairy, mincer, sod, sucker (unless used following other words to do with male genitals in which case it would be more insulting!), nonce, toff, fairy, muppet.

I'm unfamiliar with 'wop'.

This word order is just in my opinion, others may differ!
    Ayeeeee! What an eye-opening string of words THAT was! :eek:

In American English (especially early 20th century), "wop" was an offensive reference to an Italian. We don't hear it that much any more.

Good luck with your paper! :)

Regards,
    Tom

lercarafridi

Spain, Spanish
    hmidajdi said:
    could anyone who's familiar with London slang list the following terms of address starting from the most insultive (I suppose that would be 'cunt') and ending with the least insultive one:muppet, fairy, twat, toff, slag, wanker poof, nonce, tit, sucker, tart, prick, cunt, wop, sod, mincer.
    I'm student of english in Croatia, and I need this information for one of my seminar papers.Thanks
    Excuse my curiosity. What kind of paper are you supposed to do? I cannot believe these terms could be necessary for any academic affairs anyhow
    :)

shoal22

uk english
    lercarafridi said:
    Excuse my curiosity. What kind of paper are you supposed to do? I cannot believe these terms could be necessary for any academic affairs anyhow
    :)
    Yes, I was wondering the same thing. Incidentally, most men would take strong exception to being called a nonce.

hmidajdi

Croatia
    I'm writing a paper about slang (mostly cockney) terms in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, and these are all terms taken from this movie.I know their meaning but I wasn't sure how offensive they are.I'm aware it's a bit unusual...

shoal22

uk english
    hmidajdi said:
    I'm writing a paper about slang (mostly cockney) terms in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, and these are all terms taken from this movie.I know their meaning but I wasn't sure how offensive they are.I'm aware it's a bit unusual...
    The words you list are not specifically cockney or London slang, otherwise Becky's order of offensivness is pretty accurate except that I would consider nonce to be higher up the list.
    If you want cockney you need to look at rhyming slang which is widely used in London and not always knowingly.

< Previous | Next >