Pejorative twist

< Previous | Next >

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
Mañana: tomorrow; at some indefinite time in the future. There is a pejorative twist to mañana, suggesting laziness.
a. Dorothy wanted the job done immediately, but mañana was good enough for her husband.
b. If you keep waiting for mañana you may find that it never comes.

(There is no more context)
Source: 601 Words you need to know, Fourth Edition

by Murray Bromberg and Julius Liebb, Printed in

the US (New York), unit1, lesson 8 (From Sunny Spain), page 37.

Hello teachers,

(Twist) has many meanings but I don’t know what it means in the upward context. Would you please tell me what it means?

Many thanks in advance.

• lucas-sp

English - Californian
    I think you should be able to guess what "pejorative twist" means in the sentence you quote - without even looking up "twist" in the dictionary. Maybe you'd like to give it a try?

(Your English seems good enough that you should start practicing inferring meaning from context.)

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    Helo Lucas-sp,

Well... I looked it up but there are many definitions for that. I think twist in the context I have posted means a cheat.

Pejorative twist = pejorative cheat

Am I right?

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Don't look at the definition. Look at the sentence:
    Mañana: tomorrow; at some indefinite time in the future. There is a pejorative twist to mañana, suggesting laziness.
    Does "cheat" make sense? (No.)

What does "pejorative" mean in terms of words? Why might a dictionary want to say that one word has a "pejorative twist"? (There is an implied comparison with the word "tomorrow." "Mañana" has a pejorative twist ​but "tomorrow" does not.)

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    I think in the context I have posted (twist) means = (unexpected feature or situation)

pejorative twist = pejorative unexpected situation

Am I right now?

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    "Unexpected feature" is the right definition. But what does it mean that "mañana has a pejorative twist to it"?

Let me give you another example: "The sweet caramels had a salty twist to them that made them even more delicious."

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    Thank you teacher,

You helped me to discover the meaning. Good challenge.

Thanks so much Lucas-sp.

< Previous | Next >