Pennsylvania terminal

entrapta

Italian
Pennsylvania terminal

Hi, I wanted to check for the meaning of the above, if it means "stazione di testa della Pennsylvania Station (o Penn Station)" like I think. The sentence is about two freight handlers "from the Pennsylvania terminal" no state or city specified then I guess it's NY- who staged a fight impersonating two boxing champions (then the film was projected even if fake bla bla and did good business in Philadelphia). Stazione di testa è brutto forse meglio terminal.

• TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Anything wrong with:
    ...stazione di Pennsylvania...
    ...terminale di Pennsylvania...
    ??

"Terminal" in this context does not mean "capolinea" or "termini" but rather the building where everthing passes through.

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Tim, having been to Philly a couple of years ago, I thought this could be a reference to the big station in the middle of town (?).

Absolutely...I think Entrapta will have to use context to figure out whether it is Penn Station (NYC) or in Philly.

I know in Italian that "capolinea" and "termini" (Stazione termini, Rome) are common, but I wanted to get across the idea that "terminal" here didn't necessarily mean "termination point", but rather a "large building where many lines meet".

london calling

UK English
    Absolutely...I think Entrapta will have to use context to figure out whether it is Penn Station (NYC) or in Philly.

I know in Italian that "capolinea" and "termini" (Stazione termini, Rome) are common, but I wanted to get across the idea that "terminal" here didn't necessarily mean "termination point", but rather a "large building where many lines meet".
    They use "Centrale" here to mean the same thing: the main railway stations in Naples and Milan are called "Napoli Centrale" and "Milano Centrale" (Grand Central Station is the name of the terminal in NYC, if I remember rightly).

pescara

English-USA
    Tim, having been to Philly a couple of years ago, I thought this could be a reference to the big station in the middle of town (?).

Ciao LC.
    Actually, the main station in Philadelphia is called 30th Street Station (I was just there last week on a business trip). I think the reference here is probably to Pennsylvania Station in New York.

Ciao.