People from Ohio

kuleshov

Spain Spanish
What do you call people from Ohio?
I recently watched an interview with Carmen Elektra in the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. She says whevever she sees a spider she kills it "an Ohio thing"; and then, she says something about her husband. They have separate bathrooms because it takes them a long time to get ready.
She says then "we are so "himanians" ..." And Jay replies "You, "himanians"
I am very surprised..." Since I cannot make out what they're saying, I thought that perhaps they were saying something about people from Ohio.
Has anyone seem the programme?

• GenJen54

USA - English
    I believe someone from Ohio is called an Ohian, or Ohio-an.

Dave Navarro (Carmen's husband) is originally from California, I believe.

I'm trying to get my brain around "himanian," but it's not getting very far.

Edit: Confirmed via online source and friend native to Ohio that Ohioan is the correct form. Search results for "himanian" were inconclusive.

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    There was a malaprop character, years back, named José Jimenez, played by the standup comic Bill Dana. The language-misunderstanding comedy depended on the kind of cross-cultural gaffes that would be considered a little "insensitive" nowadays, though they were anything but malicious.

I can't imagine Carmen Electra would use a word like "jimenian" to describe her and her husband, unless she was joking about them acting like stock-comedic stereotypes sometimes. Just a wild guess, folks-- Señor Google turns up nada.

Schmurvin

English-USA
    Probably "high-maintenance", referring to someone who demands a lot of effort and attention, such as in personal grooming habits. It is not really surprising that Carmen Electra would be high-maintenance in this regard, so Jay Leno's remark was humorous. If so, there would be no connection to Ohio.

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    Welcome to the forums, Schmurvin.

"Himanian" is a pretty faint blip, but I think your radar is pretty good-- high-maintenance fits like a jigsaw puzzle piece.

In case someone needs to ask, here's our previous thread on high-maintenance.

GenJen54

USA - English
    Schmurvin said:
    Probably "high-maintenance", referring to someone who demands a lot of effort and attention, such as in personal grooming habits. It is not really surprising that Carmen Electra would be high-maintenance in this regard, so Jay Leno's remark was humorous. If so, there would be no connection to Ohio.

Nice job, Schmurvin! :thumbsup: Sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes to enlighten us "regulars" to what we fail to see. I agree that "high-maintenance," is probably exactly right.

I had mis-read the word in my mind, and thought its pronunciation to be closer to Himilayan, i.e. him-anian. Once my brain got wrapped around the "him" concept, I couldn't let it go.

A very warm welcome to the forums! :)