people have been happy to jump on the bandwaggon

njb17

england, english
Once again it is the problem of have been. Here is the context

Many French people have been happy to jump on the bandwaggon in blaming the emmergence of fast food restaurants solely, on the ever powerful force that is Americanisation.

Plusieurs gens français ont été contents de prendre le train en marche, en blâmant l’émergence des fast foods exclusivement sur la force toujours puissante qui est l'Americanisation.​

Does ont été mean have been or do I need to use another tense? any suggestions for improvement also appreciated!

• DDT

Italy - Italian
    I think that your choice of tense is correct. But I'd say "beaucoup de Français" instead of "plusieurs gens français"

DDT

tilt

French French
    You should write:
    Beaucoup de Français ont été contents de prendre le train en marche, en blâmant l’émergence des fast foods exclusivement sur la force toujours puissante qu'est l'Americanisation.

But it sounds a bit clumsy.
    I got some problems to get the real meaning of the English sentence because of the coma: shouldn't it be written before solely?

If so, I would suggest:
    Beaucoup de Français ont été ravis de prendre le train en marche, en ne condamnant dans l'émergence des fast-food que la force toujours puissante de l'américanisation.

< Previous | Next >