people my age

Dymn

Hi!

How would you say "people my age" in other languages? English is quite peculiar in that it uses no prepositions.

In Catalan and Spanish, we use "de" ("of"): gent de la meva edat / gente de mi edad

In German it's "in": Leute in meinem Alter

How about your language?

• nimak

Macedonian
    Macedonian:

Луѓе(то) на моја возраст (Luǵe(to) na moja vozrast) = lit. "(the)-People of my age";

There is also a noun врсник (vrsnik) meaning a person of roughly the same age as oneself; "coeval", "peer".
    So, depending on the context you can also say:
    мои(те) врсници (moi(te) vrsnici) = lit. "(the)-my coevals";

Armas

Finnish
    Finnish: ikäiseni < ikäiset "of certain age (pl.)" + -ni "my". Ikäinen is derived from ikä "age" with the suffix -inen that forms adjectives.

Armas

Finnish
    Isn't "people my age" a colloquialism? Google finds more hits with "people of my age".

Sardokan1.0

Sardu / Italianu
    Sardinian uses a single word to express this concept.

Fedále

It's derived from Latin "Foedalem", accusative of Foedalis, adjective derived from Foedus (pact, association).

Foedalis = associate, partner, buddy

Examples :

he has my age = issu est fedále meu
    they have my age =
    issos sun fedáles meos / mios

P.S.
    If we literally translate "people my age" then it's "zente de s'edade mea / mia"

Last edited:
    In Greek:
    Άνθρωποι της ηλικίας μου (People of my age).
    We also use the monolectic «οι συνομήλικοί μου» [i si.nɔˈmi.liˌci mu] --> the (masc. nom. pl. definite article; if a group has mixed gender, the masculine form is used for the collective plural, since antiquity) coeval/coetaneous (persons) of mine

-MoGr adj. «συνομήλικος, -κη, -κο» [si.nɔˈmi.li.kɔs] (masc.), [si.nɔˈmi.li.ci] (fem.), [si.nɔˈmi.li.kɔ] (neut.) --> person of the same age, coeval, coetaneous, peer < Byz. Gr. 3rd declension adj. «συνομῆλιξ» synomêliks (masc./fem. nom. sing.), «συνομήλικος» synomḗlikos (masc./fem. gen. sing.) --> person of the same age < Classical preposition & prefix «σύν» sún + Classical adj. «ὁμός» hŏmós + Classical adj. «ἧλιξ» hêliks (masc./fem. nom. sing.), «ἥλικος» hḗlikŏs (masc./fem. gen. sing) --> of the same age, as old (PIE *sueh₂-lik- as old; the Cretan ϝαλικιώτας wălĭkiṓtas points to original *σϝᾶλιξ *swâliks < PIE reflexive *sue; cf Skt. स्वक (svaka), friend, kinsman).

bibax

Czech (Prague)
    Czech:

The literal translation is lidé mého věku = people of my age (mého věku is in genitive).

But Czech has a word, meaning 'same-age peer', that is commonly used in all situations:

moji vrstevníci (= my same-age-peers)
    můj vrstevník (male)
    moje vrstevnice (female)

sing. vrstevník (male), vrstevnice (female), plur. vrstevníci, derived from the noun vrstva = layer;

btw vrstevnice (f.) means also a contour line on the map;

Last edited:

merquiades

English (USA Northeast)
    Isn't "people my age" a colloquialism? Google finds more hits with "people of my age".
    It should be: people my age or people of my own age. I am not a native though :)
    I'd write "people of my age" but dropping the "of" in daily speech is probably much more common. There are other possibilities like "people in my age bracket", "people with my age" or "my peers/ my peer group", "my contemporaries", also "coetaneous"

merquiades

English (USA Northeast)
    Or coetanis in Catalan. But this is extremely formal. I actually wonder if such adjectives are normal in colloquial speech in the other languages. Contemporaries and coetaneous certainly aren't.
    I could see someone saying in an interview "My contemporaries all smoked and drank and preferred attending private colleges on the coast...." . It's a step up from "people (of) my age". On the other hand, "coetaneous" is the kind of word you only find in written journals when authors are looking for synonyms so as not to repeat a word twice.

< Previous | Next >