people <sure or surely> change.

I'm not sure if the following sentences are correct:
'People sure change.'
and
'People surely change.'

I've referred to a dictionary. It says both 'sure' and 'surely' can be used as an adverb, but with slight difference:
sure: used to emphasize sth. that you're saying.
surely: without doubt.

So I guess both 'sure' and 'surely' are acceptable in this sentence, resulting slight difference in meaning.

Am I correct? Can someone explain it for me?
Thanks a lot! :)

• ewie

English English
    We can have no idea which sentence is the one you want, Junxiqqq, as you give us no idea of what you want to say:(

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    He would say, 'People sure change.' (Sounds AE to me) The word "people" here may refer to all people or obliquely to one particular person who both speaker and listener know.

The meaning of 'People surely change.' is much dependent upon context but is unlikely to fit your scenario.

He would say, 'People sure change.' (Sounds AE to me) The word "people" here may refer to all people or obliquely to one particular person who both speaker and listener know.

The meaning of 'People surely change.' is much dependent upon context but is unlikely to fit your scenario.
    Thanks, PaulQ. So you mean when we use 'surely', we're actually making assumption or deduction according to a given situation? Is that the reason why you generally say 'people sure change'?

EStjarn

Spanish
    I agree with PaulQ. I would also add that - in this case - with 'sure' the person is making a comment, and with 'surely' the person is expressing (what she believes to be) a fact.

Last edited:

se16teddy

English - England
    I don't use "sure" as an adverb: I don't think it is standard British English to do so.

Personally, I only say "surely" if I am trying to persuade someone of the idiocy of a suggestion. Surely you don't mean that ...
    In other contexts, such as junxi's sentences, I use certainly instead. However, there is quite a lot of variation on this point between different speakers.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >