People who have harvested- ...- are the best.

Shweggeh

Lithuanian (not certain)
"People who have harvested plenty of onions and aren't afraid to share are the best"

I'm concerned about how the past is implied in a theoretical sentence(a factual sentence). Is it just used with present perfect?

• Packard

USA, English
    Where did you find this sentence? It sounds fairly nonsensical in American English.

Uncle Jack

British English
    I can make sense of the sentence (though it could be expressed better), but what do you mean by "used"? Is what just used? Did you mean, "is it (implying the past) just by using"?

There isn't any implication of the past in your sentence. The present perfect just shows that the onions have to be harvested before they can be shared, but the sentiment is timeless. If you want to force it into the past you probably have to change the two "are"s into "were"s and "have harvested" to the simple past or past perfect.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I agree with Uncle Jack. It works for me (just about;)) as some sort of proverb or motto, if you like.

There, the relationship between the tenses simply denotes that you have to harvest these onions before you can share them: it doesn't relate to a specific time.

< Previous | Next >