people with a lot of questions - inquisitive

epistolario

Tagalog
There are some children who are curious and they would ask a lot of questions. I'm not sure if the adjective inquisitive would work here, because it is considered a virtue. If you're annoyed at your child or nephew or friend who keeps on asking a lot of questions, I don't think you will tell him in casual conversations: Don't be inquisitive!

When I looked up the meaning of other synonyms like prying or nosey, these two are related to interfering with other people's personal lives. What if the child has many questions about the natural world? You may be annoyed at his many questions, but you don't know that he will become a scientist later. ;)

The same is true in online language forums. There are many serious language students around the world who have a lot of questions about the language that their grammar books fail to explain. They may be labeled inquisitive by helpful people; but people who don't care and are annoyed may use a negative adjective. What would it be?

• Harry Batt

USA English
    Yikes! A question from Dumaguete.
    The person you want to identify is apt to be more than an inquisitive person. He also is apt to hog the conversation about any subject under the sun. I can't think of a single negative adjective that would do the trick and apply to this person. If you wanted to address him directly, pershaps, "Mister, your showcase of questions meddles in the conversation.

Hermocrates

Italian & British English (bilingual)
    I guess if you wanted to stress how annoying their frequent questions are (negative connotation), as opposed to their inquisitive nature (positive connotaion), you could probably say that this person is "pestering" (= annoying), or maybe even "intrusive" (if their questions can be perceived as inappropriate or make others feel uncomfortable).

Rye

< Previous | Next >