peppermint

audreycalifornie

English, United States
I am looking for specifically this type of mint. I found one translation as na3na3, but I thought this was the name for mint in general (which I now realize can be one of several different species). I would like to know the fos7a, if possible, as well as the Moroccan name.

Shokran

• MarcB

US English
    مرحبا

اتاى بنعناع is the name Moroccans use, It is spearmint, with Chinese green tea and sugar. Some people may also use peppermint,I have always had spearmint. notice the word for tea is not the MSA word.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Hi,
    The Mawrid dictionary gives these meanings :
    peppermint : النعناع البستانى أو الفلفلى
    spearmint : النعناع السنبلى
    Now these two words are very strange, so I think they're sort of "created" to give a meaning to the different types of mint. In Arabic (at least in Egypt) we only say ni3naa3, we don't have different types of it. I think the reason may be (if this is true) that those different types are not planted in the Arab world hence the absence of need for a different name for each type. (just a wild guess)

As for اتاى بالنعناع it sounds like الشاى بالنعناع which is tea with mint, so it's not a type of mint itself, as you said. Here, in Egypt, a "shay ben'ne3naa3" is not necessary a Chinese green tea.

MarcB

US English
    اتاى =الشاى is a local Moroccan word. All that I saw had Chinese imported green tea. In Egypt not all the tea is green and probably not all is Chinese. The type of mint inM was spearmint. I said however some people may use peppermint as Audry asked, but that I do not know. It may be as Cherine says that only one type is available.

Rosa Fernandez

Spanish- Spain
    Could somebody explain what exactly is peppermint and what is the difference between peppermint and spearmint? The green leaves used with tea in most Arab countries, are they peppermint or spearmint?

Since you asked for the Moroccan word, I can tell you they use (depending on the area?) نعناع, as Marc said, and another word which I'm not sure how to write in Arabic. ليقامة؟ لقامة؟ ليقاما؟. So "attay biliqama" sounds like "tea with residence!"

fatiha

Arabic - Morocco
    good evening

peppermint is one kind of mint which little strong( sorry for my english) it s a wild mint we called it in morocco
    النعناع الملقم اي نعناع مخلوط اثناء زراعته بفليو الشيء الذي يعطيه طعم الحاد الذي يدخل في تركيبة بعض الحلويات التي تساعدنا في علاج ازمة الزكام والتهاب الحلق ...
    peppermint is a wilde mint

ورقته خشنة صغيرة ذات لون اخضر غامق بعكس النعناع العادي ورقته تكون ناعمة وكبيرة وبما ان المغرب يشتهر بشرب الشاي الاخضر ، يوجد عدد كبير من انواع النعناع: النعناع العبدي نسبة الى منطقة اسفي ويمتاز برائحته الزكية والنعناع المكناسي يعطي للشاي طعم مميز وانواع اخرى ملقمة ( او مهجنة كما يقال ( لا ادري ان كانت الكملة صحيحة ،نعناع بالمرقدوش والحبق والسالمية وووو
    فاتحة

MarcB

US English
    There are three chief species of mint in cultivation and general use: Spearmint (Mentha viridis), Peppermint (M. piperita), and Pennyroyal (M. pulegium), the first being the one ordinarily used for cooking.These three and others are wild or cultivated.
    فاتحة شكرا

nice to see that people can relate to different versions of Arabic, despite what some people say about the differences.
    اكتب زاى الناس ما بتنطق( الشيخ امام,احمد فواد نجم)مصري

audreycalifornie

English, United States
    Rosa Fernandez said:
    Could somebody explain what exactly is peppermint and what is the difference between peppermint and spearmint?
    I recommend Gernot Katzer's Spice Pages. That's where I started all this pepper/mint trouble. It's wonderful for people who want too much information, like me.

< Previous | Next >