Per discussion with the chief accountant...

JohnnyTheSkier

Russia, russian
Hey all!

Could you please help me with the following sentence:

Per discussion with the chief accountant, Joe Smith, the difference between the figures is due to ... .

I concern about the following:
1) Does this sound native?
2) Should I put "the" before "chief accountant"?
3) Shouldn't I capitilise the initial letters of "chief accountant"?
4) Is the structure "Per discussion with... the difference arose" correct, or should I use "Per discussion with... we found out that..."?

Thank you in advance!

• Joelline

American English
    Per discussion with the chief accountant, Joe Smith, the difference between the figures is due to ... .

I am concerned about the following:

1) Does this sound native? (see below)
    2) Should I put "the" before "chief accountant"? Yes
    3) Shouldn't I capitilise the initial letters of "chief accountant"? (optional: use the practice of the company you work for)
    4) Is the structure "Per discussion with... the difference arose" correct, or should I use "Per discussion with... we found out that..."?
    "Per" here is misused; "per" means "in accordance with": "Per your instructions, I have notified the chief accountant." Unfortunately, native speakers often misuse this word, too!

I'd suggest the following

After a discussion with the chief accountant, Joe Smith, we have found (discovered) that the difference (discrepancy) between the two figures is due to...

JohnnyTheSkier

Russia, russian
    Thank you for the clear explanation as well as for correcting the mistakes in my post, Joelline!

I have one more question: How could I avoid writing "we have found out" and make the sentence more concise? Maybe something like

According to/as explained by the CA, Joe Smith, the difference is due to... ?

Harry Batt

USA English
    Per is improper. However, it is usage which nearly all Americans accept in both conversation and writing. Take "per" before a firing squad, shoot it and then bury it. When you feel the urge to use it, see if "in accordance with," or "according to" doesn't do the job for you. If you hear any Americans use it in a phrase like, "Per the hotel manager . . . " stop and smirk a bit before you make a reply.

Joelline

American English
    Hi Johnny,

Yes, "According to/as explained by the CA, Joe Smith, the difference is due to... " is acceptable and correct. However, without "between the two figures," no one is going to know which difference you're talking about. You also might want to look up "discrepancy" in a good dictionary. In the US, this word is ALWAYS used in business when money is involved. If there is no money involved in your "figures," then, of course, "difference" will work just fine.

JohnnyTheSkier

Russia, russian
    Joelline, well, in the work of an auditor there is no way that money is not involved. :) My figures have the following nature: The client provided us (with?) its financial statements. Per the financial statements (is this a correct usage of 'per'?) assets amount to, say, kUSD 10,000. Per our recalculation they equal, say, kUSD 20,000. I calculated the difference (discrepancy?) and want to write a short note saying that 'As explained by the CA, Joe Smith, the discrepancy is due to...). Since that note is just near the difference in (on?) my excel spreadsheet, I believe its easy to understand which difference (discrepancy?) I mean.

Joelline

American English
    Hi Johnny,

"Per the financial statements" (followed by a comma) is correct.
    "Per our recalculation" (again followed by a comma) is also correct, but I would never use "per" twice in row! Either "per" could easily be replaced by "based on" or "according to." Otherwise, it all looks pretty good to me!

< Previous | Next >