per intenderci

• Jana337

čeština
    Shakazulu said:
    Greetings all,
    How do you translate this phrase into English?
    Thanking you
    Ciao e benvenuto! :)

Puoi darci un po' di contesto e dire se deve essere formale o no? Mi viene in mente "To be clear, ..." ma può darsi che non vada.

EDIT: Ooops, you are not Italian. :) OK, it means "to be clear", "just to make things clear", "don't get me wrong", something along these lines.

Jana

bozz

italian italy
    In a context where afterwards you're going to give a more simple example or explanation, I'd say "to make ourselves understood".
    But, for example, if you want to establish a word that's common for both of you, I'd say "to understand each other".
    Let's wait for natives, anyway

GavinW

British English
    Again, what we want here is called, technically, a functional translation. In other words a phrase which does the same job without necessarily (or rather: in most cases definitely without) translating the individual component words "literally" (ie no references to people understanding each other here).

In the context, a simple solution such as "in other words" (or "if you get my meaning" or "if you get my drift" or "if you get the idea/the gist" [depending on the extent to which the context can be personalized with reference to first person singular]) hits the spot, or else an adverb (sentence adverb) such as "basically".

moodywop

Banned
    Italian - Italy
    It can be used in different contexts and the tone makes a difference too. Jana's and Gavin's English translations are great but they only cover the "neutral" context. I sometimes use "per intenderci" in a more or less aggressive tone before telling someone, for instance, that I will no longer tolerate a behaviour I find unacceptable. Can "Just so we're clear" be used in the same way in English?

moodywop

Banned
    Italian - Italy
    Gavin

I might use "per intenderci" in a confrontational tone when denying an offensive allegation, before saying I will not put up with something any more and in similar situations.

Per intenderci, non sono io quello che va in giro a spiattellare i fatti degli altri!

Per intenderci, d'ora in poi la macchina la prenderai solo se mi chiederai prima il permesso!

PS Of course I don't mind corrections. I'm here to learn!

Alfry

Italian
    Examples:

* Ti ho detto che non mi piace il rosso, ti ho anche detto che non mi piace il verde e tu ti presenti a casa mia con il cappello giallo e questo top rosso e la gonna verde. Non voglio essere antipatico ma, per intenderci, la prossima volta non tollererò più tale affronto e per adesso devo costringerti a levarti tutto tranne che quel grazioso cappello... :eek: :D

* Intendiamoci/Per intenderci: te lo dico adesso e non te lo ripeto più, non mi piacciono le penne rigate col pesto:mad:! Ti va una pizza?

Stupid examples I know ;)

bozz

italian italy
    That's was my point! Forse la mia traduzione all'inglese non è buona, però intendevo dire la stessa cosa detta da Moodywop

GavinW

British English
    moodywop said:
    Gavin

I might use "per intenderci" in a confrontational tone when denying an offensive allegation, before saying I will not put up with something any more and in similar situations.

Per intenderci, non sono io quello che va in giro a spiattellare i fatti degli altri!

Per intenderci, d'ora in poi la macchina la prenderai solo se mi chiederai prima il permesso!

PS Of course I don't mind corrections. I'm here to learn!

OK, now I see. Sounds a bit like "intendiamoci".

"Let's get one thing/something straight, ...".

Yep, the old antennae are buzzing together there. Pretty good translation that (even if I say so myself....):D :eek:

Edit: anticipato (in parte) di nuovo da Alfry: grazie degli ulteriori esempi cosi' pieni di.... colore!

moodywop

Banned
    Italian - Italy
    Thanks, Gavin! What about "just so we're clear"? Could it be used in my examples? If not, could you give us some other examples where "just so we're clear" would fit?

GavinW

British English
    moodywop said:
    Thanks, Gavin! What about "just so we're clear"? Could it be used in my examples? If not, could you give us some other examples where "just so we're clear" would fit?
    Yes, it could.

Just so we're clear
    Just so one thing's clear
    Just to make one thing/something clear

"Clear" and "straight" are pretty much interchangeable in these phrases. (Except you can't say "Just so we're straight": things can be either "clear" or "straight", while people are just "clear").

Also: "Let's get this straight/clear", and "Get this straight"

moodywop

Banned
    Italian - Italy
    Thank you, Gavin. That's an extremely comprehensive list. Now we need to come up with equivalent expressions in Italian:)

What about:

Chiariamo bene una cosa

Shakazulu

English Ireland
    Thank you all! You have been very helpful. I can see that there are different ways of putting it in English, depending on the level of formality or politeness desired. Grazie tante!

swansea12

Banned
    english british
    Hi, can anyone please clarify the meaning of " per intenderci" ?
    Quindi, sto nell'aquario, per intenderci, e chiamo gli anelli che vanno doppiati e assisto.....
    Thus, I am in the midst of it all, to make things clear, and I call the loops that are dubbed and I assist...
    Have I got it right?
    Thanks ...:)

GavinW

British English
    I've just read the context again, and I now think the meaning is much more likely to be "so to speak", or "as it were", in other words a phrase which explains (and "apologizes" for) the initial statement "sto nell'aquario" (which I guess is a technical term for part of the dubbing studio, or which otherwise may be a metaphor, for all I know -- or else a combination of the two things...).
    HTH

swansea12

Banned
    english british
    It is a metaphor....she says she is in the fish tank as it were of the dubbing studio...i think you are right here, so to say would work....

Little Jimmy

English - England
    Hi Wordreference,

Got a bit stuck with this one, here's the Italian:

"Si tratta di un sistema di valori di cui nel tempo si è appropriato il mondo della moda nella duplice anima, da un lato, di un Minimalismo emblema di controllo e rigore, magari tipico di Armani o Ferré; dall’altro, il nero è anche il tratto distintivo dei devoti dell’Anti-form, da Rick Owens ad Ann Demeulemeester, per intenderci, molto più consono a catturare il “lato oscuro” della condizione umana."

My attempt in English:

"It represents a system of values which at the time was appropriate for the world of fashion with a dual soul. On the one hand, it is a Minimalistic symbol of control and rigour, maybe typical of Armani or Ferré; on the other hand, black is also the distinctive trait of the devotees of Anti-form, from Rick Owens to Ann Demeulemeester, in order to understand us, much more in keeping with caputuring the "dark side" of the human condition."

I have split the phrase up into two sentences as I think it reads better in English. The part that is troubling me is "per intenderci". What does the ci refer to, is it to us as human beings or is referring to the colour black? Is this a set phrase? I am a bit lost so any help would be great. Also if anyone has any comments about how I have translated the rest of the sentence then please feel free to let me know.

Kind Regards

Jimmy

Holymaloney

English (UK) / Italian - bilingual
    Hi LJ :)!
    The meaning of the sentence un sistema di valori di cui nel tempo si è appropriato il mondo della moda doesn't mean a system of values which at the time was appropriate for the world of fashion ;).
    Appropriarsi
    means to make something your own/to assign something to yourself/. In this first bit we're talking about a set of values that the fashion world has made it's own. There's bound to be a smoother way to say it but I'm not feeling too inspired today. :(

< Previous | Next >