perché il nuovo contagi ogni ambiente

< Previous | Next >

cookie10

Berber Moroccan
Ho trovato che il significato della parola contagio è infect.

Ho trovato la stessa parola ma non sono sicura se posso anche tradurla usando la stessa parola.

Sono sempre gli artisti a esplorare il nuovo perché poi il nuovo contagi ogni ambiente e diventi la norma. Se verrete al concerto sappiate che l'inquinamento prodotto verrà ribilanciato attraverso questo progetto Zero CO2.

Artists are always exploring something new because then it infects every room and becomes the norm. If you come to the concert, you will know that the pollution will be rebalanced through this project Zero CO2.

• italtrav

English
    "Sono sempre gli artisti a esplorare il nuovo perché poi il nuovo contagi ogni ambiente e diventi la norma. Se verrete al concerto sappiate che l'inquinamento prodotto verrà ribilanciato attraverso questo progetto Zero CO2."

Artists are always exploring something the new because then it infects every room environment and becomes the norm. If you come to the concert, you will know that the pollution caused resultant pollution/pollution produced will be rebalanced offset through this project Zero CO2.

fitter.happier

Italian
    Perché + congiuntivo is just a different way of saying affinché, which introduces a clause expressing purpose. It doesn't mean because here.

Artists are always exploring new things so that they (= new things) infect every enviroment and become the norm.

italtrav

English
    Perché + congiuntivo is just a different way of saying affinché, which introduces a clause expressing purpose. It doesn't mean because here.

Artists are always exploring new things so that they (= new things) infect every enviroment and become the norm.
    You're absolutely right, of course, about the use of the subjunctive with perché, and surely "so that" is the better translation.

Still, there was something that nagged at me here, and I think I finally know what it is. The oddity is that, in this and some other instances, "because" and "so that" are used to mean almost the same thing.

1) Priests hope to put the fear of God into people because they will become good.
    2) Priests hope to put the fear of God into people so that they will become good.

And now I'm working out how to state the difference between these two sentences and then whether I could construct a matching Italian pair. The first states more of a projected certainty, but both are causal statements. I think I've successfully confused myself and will go to bed.:confused:

cecil

USA American English
    You're absolutely right, of course, about the use of the subjunctive with perché, and surely "so that" is the better translation.

Still, there was something that nagged at me here, and I think I finally know what it is. The oddity is that, in this and some other instances, "because" and "so that" are used to mean almost the same thing.

1) Priests hope to put the fear of God into people because:cross: (mai usato in questa via nell'inglese americano) they will become good.
    2) Priests hope to put the fear of God into people so that they will become good.

And now I'm working out how to state the difference between these two sentences and then whether I could construct a matching Italian pair. The first states more of a projected certainty, but both are causal statements. I think I've successfully confused myself and will go to bed.:confused:

Last edited:

italtrav

English
    "1) Priests hope to put the fear of God into people because (mai usato in questa via nell'inglese americano) they will become good."

Sure it is, though I probably hang around some more downscale groups than you do.:) What is tacit is "thereby" after "they will." "...because they will thereby become good." It may not be beautiful AE—in fact, that's what makes for the partial merge in meanings—but it does exist.

How about: "I killed her because we'll be together in the afterlife."
    All I can offer is that this is the kind of thing I have heard spoken in contemporary English.

But let me ask instead, how and how much does the meaning of the original sentence in the thread change by the substitution of "so that" for "because"? As I already said, I agree that Fitter is correct on the force of the subjunctive. But I also think that this particular case has something worth noting. Maybe there is an echo here of early English use of because in the form, "because that," a discussion of which is found in the OED.

[Note that I have changed Fitter's revision back to the singular].

Artists are always exploring the new so that it infects every enviroment and becomes the norm.

Artists are always exploring the new because it infects every enviroment and becomes the norm.

cecil

USA American English
    </SPAN>
    "1) Priests hope to put the fear of God into people because (mai usato in questa via nell'inglese americano) they will become good."

Sure it is, though I probably hang around some more downscale groups than you do.:) What is tacit is "thereby" after "they will." "...because they will thereby become good." It may not be beautiful AE—in fact, that's what makes for the partial merge in meanings—but it does exist.

How about: "I killed her because we'll be together in the afterlife."
    All I can offer is that this is the kind of thing I have heard spoken in contemporary English.

But let me ask instead, how and how much does the meaning of the original sentence in the thread change by the substitution of "so that" for "because"? As I already said, I agree that Fitter is correct on the force of the subjunctive. But I also think that this particular case has something worth noting. Maybe there is an echo here of early English use of because in the form, "because that," a discussion of which is found in the OED.

[Note that I have changed Fitter's revision back to the singular].

1. Artists are always exploring the new so that it infects every enviroment and becomes the norm.

2. Artists are always exploring the new because it infects every enviroment and becomes the norm.
    I could accept "Priests hope to put the fear of God into people because doing so may make them become good." Well, maybe, I could accept it. The "afterlife" sentence really offends my ears and logic, or does the killer expect his victim to go to hell?

I don't think either 1 or 2 is a correct statement. I think artists explore the new because they like being creative. It's fun. They do not do it so that they will like being creative.

Like you, I really don't know the origin of my preferences except the way phrases are used around me in both speech and writing. I'm not really conscious of rules most of the time, only when the grammar I was taught is violated...which is happening more and more frequently. But in view of ever decreasing academic performance by students in the US, I hardly feel any need to yield my rules to current chaos.

"Environment."

< Previous | Next >