perche à houblon

RedHat

English -- American
Hello,

Quick question-- there is a small part of this sentence that makes no sense to me, and I am guessing it is some poetic usage . . . maybe? Here is a section of the text for contextual help:

Baudelaire choisit l'image du Thyrse, le sceptre de Bacchus, pour illustrer cette conception d'une beauté unissant des éléments contradictoires: "un pur bâton, perche à houblon, tuteur de vigne, sec, dur et droit."

My own translation is like so: "Baudelaire chooses the image of Thyrsus, the scepter of Bacchus, to illustrate this idea of a unifying beauty of contradictory elements: "a pure staff, perches to hop, guardian of the vine, dry, hard and straight."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Une perche à houblon is a hop-pole. These are the long poles that hold up hop-vines, thin, straight and strong. Usually it's vine tendrils that wind round the Thyrsis but in a beer-drinking country why not hops? (We are not talking Buddweiser here, but beers with flavour.)

And in this context a tutelle isn't a guardian, once again it's the stick that holds a plant upright.

Chris' Spokesperson

English - Ireland
    à can be used to describe the purpose of something as one unit too: tasse à tae - teacup.

They're describing Bacchus' staff...which is a pole (perche)

Edit - Keith got your back :)

RedHat

English -- American
    Hey, thank you very much, Chris and Keith -- I was completely missing the idea. And Budweiser is pretty nasty to my palate anyway -- I'm more of a stout man myself! Once again, thank you for the help.

< Previous | Next >