"perched atop towering high heels"

grimbergen

Korean
Hello, members!

Perhaps no two people better exemplify the double standard than the most well-known executives working at Facebook: cofounder and Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg, known for wearing the same grey T-shirt and jeans every day, and Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg, who is typically seen perched atop towering high heels.
(Sheryl Sandberg’s Shoes Perfectly Illustrate The Hypocrisy Of Tech's 'Casual' Dress Code)

In this case, "who is typically seen perched atop towering high heels" means that she is often seen wearing high heels? Does that mean she looks taller in really high heels?

Please help me out. Thank you in advance:)

• Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Yes, I think it means "She's often seen wearing high heels". But The article wants to tell us that they two (Mark Zuckerbeg and Sheryl Sandberg) somewhat share the same characteristics, Mark wears the same Grey T-shirt every day, Sheryl for her high heels.

Not a native speaker.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg, who is typically seen perched atop towering high heels.
    Typically means 'very often' or 'usually', or maybe 'always'. She will look taller in high heeels of course but the main point is why does a very successful business woman wear very high heels to work, not trainers.

grimbergen

Korean
    Thank you for the replies, Silverobama and Hermione Golightly! Now I clearly understand the meaning of the sentence owing to your replies, but I am still a bit confused about the structure of the sentence.

Can anyone please explain how "towering" works here? I think it should be something like "who is typically seen perched atop in towering high heels."

Please help me out! Thank you in advance:)

cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    "Towering" is a participle used as an adjective, modifying "(high) heels." "Atop" is a preposition governing the phrase "towering high heels."

grimbergen

Korean
    Thank you for the replies, cyberpedant and johngiovanni! Yes, I agree with you!
    Do you think any preposition or something else is needed before "towering high heels" like "in" meaning that she's wearing such high heels?

grimbergen

Korean
    Oh!! Thank you johngiovanni! Now I finally got it!! Yes, I think it is quite poetic! Thank you for the help:)

< Previous | Next >