percie or persie or pursie [prissy]

< Previous | Next >
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyril12

Czech
Hello, new to this forum so I hope I'm posting this question in the right place and correctly.

There is a word that means "high maintenance" or "needy" and it is pronounced as "percie" or "pursie". I'm unsure how to spell it or even if I'm saying it correctly.

In a sentence the word would be used as "She was percie".

• ewie

English English
    Welcome to the forum, Cyril:)
    :confused::confused::confused:
    Could you give us an actual example of the word in use, and tell us who is saying it (nationality, age, etc.)?
    The closest thing I can think of is pushy ~ but that doesn't really fit with 'high-maintenance' or 'needy'.

Cyril12

Czech
    Welcome to the forum, Cyril:)
    :confused::confused::confused:
    Could you give us an actual example of the word in use, and tell us who is saying it (nationality, age, etc.)?
    The closest thing I can think of is pushy ~ but that doesn't really fit with 'high-maintenance' or 'needy'.
    I remember it from high school (about 20 years ago) a teacher using it. The teacher used it in when referring to a woman of high need, this woman was dressed nice, only liked fancy food, expensive cars and jewelry ect. I hope this half forgotten example helps.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I suggest you completely forget it unless the word was 'pricey'.
    In my career teaching adults, I was often asked to comment on things non-native speaker teachers had said decades earlier. It was always either plain wrong or had been misunderstood.

If it was 'pricey', I've never heard it used to mean high-maintenance women or needy people of either sex, bearing in mind there are plenty of needy men. I can attest to the latter but nobody could accuse me of being high maintenance. I'm dirt cheapo, oops, I mean low-cost.

If pricey was a word that would be taught, I think we would be familiar with it.

Last edited:

Cyril12

Czech
    The only words I can think of that are even remotely similar are 'fussy' and 'prissy'.

I've found 'pursy', but that means puffy, or fat. Or puckered.
    YES, thank you, it is indeed 'prissy', over the years my brain basterdized the spelling and pronunciation. Thank you again

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Without more information, this thread can be no more than a guessing game. What is clear that a word pronounced "percie" would not generally be recognized as meaning "High-maintenance." If the correct word is actually "prissy," then the mystery is solved.

Thank you to all who participated. This thread is closed.

Florentia52
    English Only moderator

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >