perdre

< Previous | Next >

worldwanderer

England and Romania
Hi guys,

Struggling with the use of the word 'perdre' in the following text - coming from a military commander.

"Certes, nous allons perdre quelque homes. Mais les capacités de mobilité vont être accrue pour le groupement tactique que je commande."

From what I know of the context here the number of men in his unit will be cut down, so I guess 'perdre' can be translated in the sense of losing (a number of) men and (not necessarily killed in battle, right?). I also struggling with the verb in the second part of the sentence...

So my try is:

"Obviously, we are going to lose some men. But the movement ability Vont etre accrue (acumulated?) for the tactical unit that I command."

Any ideas greatfully received.

PS: wasn't there when he was talking so i couldn't get HIM to clarify :)

• englishman

English England
    "Certes, nous allons perdre quelque homes. Mais les capacités de mobilité vont être accrue pour le groupement tactique que je commande."
    "Of course, we're going to lose some men. But the ability to transport the tactical formation which I command is going to be increased"

or something along those lines. "perdre" has its usual sense here, AFAICS. "accrue" is the past participle of "accroitre" = "to increase".

< Previous | Next >