period

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Please help me explain 'period' in the sentence:
"Mr" and "Mrs" are both bona fide abbreviations, but "Ms." uses the period without being an abbreviation for anything.
Many thanks.

• mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    No, I don't think so because it is said to be without being an abbreviation for anything.
    Thank you anyway.

river

U.S. English
    While not technically an abbreviation,Webster's suggests that "Ms." is a shortened form combining "Miss" and "Mrs."

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Ms is an invented designation that is deliberately non-specific about marital status.

Note that BE has abandoned the . after the Mr and Mrs, and I am sure that Ms has never had one.

DAH

USA/California--English
    panjandrum said:
    Ms is an invented designation that is deliberately non-specific about marital status.

Note that BE has abandoned the . after the Mr and Mrs, and I am sure that Ms has never had one.

On this side of the Altantic the "." is still used for all three forms of address.

Best regards!

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    panjandrum said:
    I've fallen out of the habit of using periods for those words too, and I agree with you about Ms. Wupps-- I guess the end of a sentence constitutes an exception.

Anyway, we're both wrong-- take a look at this magazine cover from 1972.

Red Frog

England, English
    I get the feeling mimi2's question might be about the word 'period' in the sentence. Maybe in Vietnam the word 'period' isn't used to mean 'full stop' (i.e. in punctuation). I think it's very US English, as in UK we always say 'full stop'.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Red Frog - I really do believe that you are right:eek:
    We are so easily led astray.
    It only takes one person to start answering the wrong question and we all follow.

mimi2 - I apologise, on behalf of all of us, for missing the point of your question. I hope that the explanation of Mr, Miss and Ms is helpful anyway, and Red Frog has explained "period".

river

U.S. English
    She is asking why is Ms spelled with a period since nothing is being abbreviated. It could go either way. I prefer Ms.

timpeac

English (England)
    Red Frog said:
    I get the feeling mimi2's question might be about the word 'period' in the sentence. Maybe in Vietnam the word 'period' isn't used to mean 'full stop' (i.e. in punctuation). I think it's very US English, as in UK we always say 'full stop'.

That was certainly my interpretation - I had to go back to the original sentence to see what everyone was talking about!!

Yes, I would say the answer is that "period" refers to the symbol "." which is called a "full stop" in the UK, although you do hear people use "period" in the sense of "I won't do that period" (although more would still say "full stop" here too I think).