periodo / período

My understanding is that the latter is the old way and that the RAE dropped the obligatory accent in recent years.

Can anyone verify that, please? Which is more correct to use with my Spanish students?

Agradecido,

Profe Steve

• Circunflejo

Castellano de Castilla
    I pronounce it with three syllables so I write it periodo. Both spellings are perfectly valid for the RAE although período is the preferred one. I don't recall when both spellings started to be valid but back in 1992 they were for sure already valid.

Circunflejo

Castellano de Castilla
    Meanwhile, the same does not apply to "océano":
    ...although I understand it is sometimes pronounced that way.
    Not here. O-cé-a-no. 4 syllables. I'm yet to hear it pronounced with 3 syllables (or so I think). While io may form a diphthong, ea is always an hiatus.

The Academy's Diccionario panhispánico de dudas accepts both forms, with an interesting final note:

Meanwhile, the same does not apply to "océano":

...although I understand it is sometimes pronounced that way.
    Very interesting side note, gracias.

I always write periodo but período is perfectly fine too.
    Agradecido.

I always write periodo but período is perfectly fine too.
    Gengo, es o bien pe-rio-do en tres o pe-rí-o-do en cuatro.
    En mi zona, pronunciada en cuatro siempre, salvo tierra adentro...
    Una buena explicación, gracias.

Gengo, es o bien pe-rio-do en tres o pe-rí-o-do en cuatro.
    En mi zona, pronunciada en cuatro siempre, salvo tierra adentro...
    Not here. O-cé-a-no. 4 syllables. I'm yet to hear it pronounced with 3 syllables (or so I think). While io may form a diphthong, ea is always an hiatus.
    Thanks a bunch.

I pronounce it with three syllables so I write it periodo. Both spellings are perfectly valid for the RAE although período is the preferred one. I don't recall when both spellings started to be valid but back in 1992 they were for sure already valid.
    Agradecido.

It depends on the region, and social differences...
    Agradecido.

I would rather say that I always write and say período, but periodo is fine too (the latter only because RAE considers it so, because if it were because of me...).
    Agradecido, profesor Chileno. Están todavia diciendo bien cachai hoy en día?

< Previous | Next >