Perish in the attempt?

< Previous | Next >

Kumi5221

Japanese
Hello, I'm wondering why this can be interpreted that the narrator indicates that many previous explores seeking the Norh Pole have perished in the attempt.

"Rising slowly from the earth that bore me and gave me sustenance, I am carried helplessly toward an uninhabited and hostile, or at best indifferent, part of the earth, littered with the bones of explorers and the wrecks of ships, frozen supply caches, messages scrawled with chilled fingers and hidden in cairns that no eye will ever see. ->this part "Nobody has succeeded in this thing,and many have died. ""

The other choices are
Made surprising discoveries; failed to determine its exact location; had different motivations than his own

This passage is adapted from MacDonald Harris,
The Balloonist. ©2011 by The Estate of Donald Heiney. During the summer of 1897, the narrator of this story, a fictional Swedish scientist, has set out for the North Pole in a hydrogen-powered balloon.

• wandle

English - British
    >this part "Nobody has succeeded in this thing,and many have died. ""

The other choices are
    Made surprising discoveries; failed to determine its exact location; had different motivations than his own
    What do you mean by that?

boozer

Bulgarian
    Because the bones of those explorers are there. They died. They were left behind unburied, if at all there was anyone to leave them behind.

I see Wandle's question. A reasonable question. I myself simply assumed this was part of some multiple-choice reading comprehension exercise. I have seen many of those and this looks like one. :D

Kumi5221

Japanese
    What do you mean by that?
    Thank you for your reply.
    It's accompanied by a multiple choice question, in fact. I'm wondering if a choice like that (the explores) failed to determine the exact location could be a correct answer.

Kumi5221

Japanese
    Because the bones of those explorers are there. They died. They were left behind unburied, if at all there was anyone to leave them behind.

I see Wandle's question. A reasonable question. I myself simply assumed this was part of some multiple-choice reading comprehension exercise. I have seen many of those and this looks like one. :D
    Yes, exactly!
    The choice now seems to be a no less or more detailed one.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    Hi Kumi,

One of the problems is that you have double quotation marks at the end, which suggest that you have left something out.

Another problem is that your thread title is not found anywhere in the text or in your question.

< Previous | Next >