permanently wed

enocuk

Turkish - Istanbul
Hello,

I can't understand what "permanently wed" means in the below sentence:

"Neoliberalism and accompanying globalization, permanently wed French dark beasts, are rewriting the postwar European social contract."

I assume that the writer refers to neoliberalism and globalization by dark beasts; yet I just can't be sure of whether the writer means that neoliberalism or globalization (as dark beasts) are permanently wed.

So I'd appreciate any clarification.

P.S.: I think I should note that the expression "dark beasts" is given as "bêtes noires" in the original text and that I put it in English as this is our English only forum.

Thank you.

• xqby

English (U.S.)
    You should keep "bêtes noires" in French: I had to translate it back for the sentence to sound right. Certain words from other languages are used in normal English, and the "English Only" forum does allow for that.

But yes, the sentence says that neoliberalism and globalization are permanently wed--they are also both disliked intensely.

JamesM

Thank you for translating the phrase to English. That was very thoughtful of you and shows a great respect for the rules. Bêtes noires, though, is actually a borrowed term in English so it is fine to use it here.

I think your interpretation is correct. The two are the French bêtes noires and are also permanently wed. It's an odd use of "wed" since the word implies "permanently", at least to me. It doesn't seem that it requires an adverb to underline that quality.

enocuk

Turkish - Istanbul
    Thank you very much for your help! I just couldn't decide whether (or didn't know that) the phrase "betes noires" is already used in English. That's why I wanted to translate it into English.

Thanks once again.

< Previous | Next >