permissible and impermissible number shifts involving "the said Noun"

raymondaliasapollyon

Chinese
Hi,

I'm wondering whether the plural "the said animals" can refer to the singular "the dog" in the following.

Man has been living with the dog for thousands of years. Together they have braved every storm and beat every beast. No wonder we often refer to the said animals as our best companions.

In this regard, consider the following:

Have you ever heard of the Antoinette Perry Award for Excellence in Theater? Not many people have. However, there is a good chance that you have heard of the Tony Awards, the more commonly used name of the said awards.

Can the plural "the said awards" refer to the singular "the Antoinette Perry Award for Excellence in Theater"?

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Where did you see this?

[It is odd to refer a specific singular award as 'said awards.']

Added: Having read it more carefully, I have a different answer. The 'said awards' are the Tony Awards. That is the popular name for the Antoinette Perry Award.

Last edited:

raymondaliasapollyon

Chinese
    Where did you see this?

[It is odd to refer a specific singular award as 'said awards.']

Added: Having read it more carefully, I have a different answer. The 'said awards' are the Tony Awards. That is the popular name for the Antoinette Perry Award.
    But the Antoinette Perry Award is singular in form. Doesn't it clash with the plural "the said awards"?

Also, consider that we commonly refer to the Academy Awards (rather than the Academy Award), the Emmy Awards (rather than the Emmy Award), and the Nobel Prizes (rather than the Nobel Prize) when referring to the awards / prizes as a whole. Why use the singular the Antoinette Perry Award?

Last edited:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Yes, it's odd. I think that they forgot to explain how it happens that a group of awards with that name are given out, so that we now talk about the Tony Awards -- especially when we are talking about the ceremony at which these awards are presented. An individual award is still called 'a Tony'.

Please see this: Tony Award - Wikipedia

< Previous | Next >