Permission for a girl's hand

winerunner

English
Can someone help me translate a few sentences from English into Italian?
My girlfriends parents are Italian, don't speak much English, and are visiting us. I want to ask her parents for permission to marry their daughter....In Italian. So here is what I want to say: "I met your daughter 17 months ago. It has been an incredible experience. I want to experience the rest of life with her. I would like your permission and your blessing for her hand."

That's it!

Thanks, WineRunner

• Spicy

Italian
    Ho incontrato vostra figlia diciassette mesi fa. E' stata un'esperienza incredibile.
    Io voglio dividere il resto della mia vita con lei (to experience the rest of life....has not a litteral translation in Italian, I mean we don't use to say so. It seem to me nicer to say I want share the rest of my life with her -to share= dividere). Desidero avere il vostro permesso e la vostra benedizione per sposarla.

Silvia

Italian
    1. You need to learn some Italian!
    2. Where's the family from? North? South? Center? (Not just where they live now) As the saying goes... paese che vai, usanza che trovi (same as yours 'when in Rome, do as the Romans do')
    3. I cannot give my opinion until then!

winerunner

English
    silviap said:
    1. You need to learn some Italian!
    2. Where's the family from? North? South? Center? (Not just where they live now) As the saying goes... paese che vai, usanza che trovi (same as yours 'when in Rome, do as the Romans do')
    3. I cannot give my opinion until then!
    They are from Sicily.

Silvia

Italian
    Ok, winerunner, maybe there's someone from Sicily around here who can help.

Anyway, everything I was going to say is now unsuitable! So, well I guess you can say you are asking for their blessing.

The right word for "to share" is = condividere

Be prepared, though, about details. Italians in general can be very traditional about weddings (where, what, how, when).

Some hints
    I wouldn't say "è stata un'esperienza incredibile". I wouldn't mention experience at all! ;)
    Ho conosciuto vostra figlia diciassette mesi fa, e da allora (and since then) la mia vita è cambiata (my life has changed). Vorrei condividere il resto della mia vita con lei (I would like to share the rest of my life with her). Chiedo la sua mano (I'm asking for her hand) e la vostra benedizione (and your blessing). Or better: la vostra benedizione mi renderebbe felice (your blessing would make me happy).

Is that enough? Anything you would like to add?

It sounds like a movie to me ;) In the North it's completely different :p

]P[hil

Italy, Italian
    Just to say it's a quite nice story, and I'm sending you my best wishes.
    Good luck Man.
    Sicilians (I'm sicilian myself) are quite nice and easy people, so don't worry; We don't use to go around with shotguns anymore
    :)

Nick Raider

Italy - Italian
    I think he only want to be nice with his daughter parents and speak something in the original language. It's not important if you get it wrong, Parents from sicily will be very enthusiastic for that.
    Here is a possible adaptation:

Ho conosciuto vostra figlia diciassette mesi fa, e da allora la mia vita è cambiata.
    Vorrei condividere il resto della mia vita con lei ma non senza la vostra benedizione (I'd like to share the rest of my life with her but not without your blessing). Perciò vi chiedo la sua mano (For this reason I'm asking for her hand).

E' un onore per me potervi avere qui in questo momento.
    (what an honour having you here in this good time). (I don't know if it is correct in english).

Silvia

Italian
    "his daughterparents"
    Ma lui non ha una figlia! Hai fatto un po' di confusione...

"and speak something in the original language."
    and speak some Italian or speak their native language

"ma non senza la vostra benedizione"
    Perchè no?! Dovrebbe rinunciare per sempre alla ragazza se loro non sono favorevoli?! Ma sei sicuro che sei di Milano? :D

"Perciò vi chiedo la sua mano"
    E qui, lui si inginocchiò davanti a lei, mi sembra un teleromanzo!

"E' un onore per me potervi avere qui in questo momento"
    Sembra una frase della notte segli oscar!

Mi sa che tu sei un pubblicitario per la televisione :rolleyes:

P.S.: Having a good time significa divertirsi, godersela.

walnut

Italy - Italian
    Nick Raider said:
    It's not important if you get it wrong, Parents from sicily will be very enthusiastic for that.
    :) Of course they will! You're right, NickRaider. And I feel enthusiastic too, although I'm not a relative of theirs... Best wishes to the forero-couple, ciao! Walnut :)

< Previous | Next >