Permitir

< Previous | Next >

travis

USA/English
Hello! I have a question about the usage of "permitir."
I have seen several examples, such as:
"Les permiten a los trabajadores de la información automatizar los procesos diarios."
and
"Permiten a los pasajeros fumar".

What confuses me is that in the first example, "los trabajadores" is the indirect object, and "les" is placed in front of "permiten", but in the second example, "les" is not there. I was under the impression that an indirect object pronoun is always necessary if there is an indirect object. Is this correct? If it is, is "los pasajeros" still an indirect object? :confused:
Thanks!

• Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    travis said:
    Hello! I have a question about the usage of "permitir."
    I have seen several examples, such as:
    "Les permiten a los trabajadores de la información automatizar los procesos diarios."
    and
    "Permiten a los pasajeros fumar".

What confuses me is that in the first example, "los trabajadores" is the indirect object, and "les" is placed in front of "permiten", but in the second example, "les" is not there. I was under the impression that an indirect object pronoun is always necessary if there is an indirect object. Is this correct? If it is, is "los pasajeros" still an indirect object? :confused:
    Thanks!

Yes, "a los pasajeros" is still an IO, and I think you need the "les" in that sentence.
    However, in notices, or in headlines in the newspapers it is common to see this shortened form of the correct phrase.

< Previous | Next >