Persian: آبمان رفت

< Previous | Next >

alipasha

Turkish - Turkey
.آبمان رفت
Is it a correct sentence? I wanna say our water is gone, there's a water cut.

• mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    As in “no more tap water, because it has been turned off at the source by the water authority”?

Could you consider these:
    آب نیست
    آب قطع شد
    They are common ways to put it.

For my cultural background, your suggestion carries connotations of some disgrace having befallen the speaker.

Nevertheless, I would say that strictly speaking there is nothing incorrect about آب‌مان رفت. It sounds quaint to the ear in the actual context. So if you prefer it by all means do use it, in my view.

alipasha

Turkish - Turkey
    As in “no more tap water, because it has been turned off at the source by the water authority”?

Could you consider these:
    آب نیست
    آب قطع شد
    They are common ways to put it.

For my cultural background, your suggestion carries connotations of some disgrace having befallen the speaker.

Nevertheless, I would say that strictly speaking there is nothing incorrect about آب‌مان رفت. It sounds quaint to the ear in the actual context. So if you prefer it by all means do use it, in my view.
    Thank you very much

mannoushka

Iran/Persian
    To be clear, آب‌ِمان, our water, is fine. It is just that the verb رفت seems for some idiosyncratic reason to be exclusively reserved for whenever there is a power cut. بَرق always goes or is cut off, while آب doesn’t go, but either is non-existent or has, again, been cut off. But really the sentence آب رفت is such a summary yet sufficiently clear way of communicating what has happened to the mains water, I feel it just does not matter about the verb. The unidiomatic sentence is good enough to use, in my humble opinion.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Is n't there a saying, آب آمد تیمم برخاست? In that case if water can come, then it can surely go too!:)

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    آب آمد تیمم برخاست
    I've never heard this before but I understand what it is saying, “the real thing has turned up, ditch the replacement”, reference to the ablution before prayer and using earth for that purpose when water is not available.

Forum rules state that context for a question has to be provided, with this we’ve had nothing, second guessing can be fun but it is frustrating.

Last edited:

taraa

Persian
    I've never heard this before but I understand what it is saying, “the real thing has turned up, ditch the replacement”, reference to the ablution before prayer and using earth for that purpose when water is not available.

Forum rules state that context for a question has to be provided, with this we’ve had nothing, second guessing can be fun but it is frustrating.
    Many thanks for your great explanations.:thank you: :thank you:
    Sorry, can I ask explain the following?
    reference to the ablution before prayer

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    ^^Ablution is the washing of parts of body as a religious act before prayer, وضو گرفتن in Persian.

Last edited:

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    PersoLatin, the background is, the water mains has been cut off at the source.
    I appreciate you provided several options and the likeliest context is what you state above, but that’s not how these sessions are supposed to work, I’m still not sure which was the context, from the reply.

< Previous | Next >