Persian: اره شده

sehrehalal

English - US
Hi all,

I just have a question about a couple of words in this sentence from a short story by Bizhan Najdi:

گفت:‌روس؟‌ نه... ماراجینما یه آمریکاییه٬ یه سرخپوستِ اره شده‌ی خلّص امریکایی و کمونیست... من کی گفتم روس بود‌؟

So my questions are basically what is this اره شده (I couldn't find any dictionary references except for the typical 'arre' = saw, but that doesn't make sense), and I guess خُلَص just means پاک here ? Is there a significant difference between خالص and خلّص?

My attempt at translating :

He said: Russian? No... Marajinma is an American, a pure _______ American Indian and a communist... when did I say he was Russian?

Thanks for any help!

• Treaty

Persian
    I assume اره شده refers to his family/tribe being forcefully scattered by the US government, as he explains later in the story. خلص (xollas) means "pure" (in this case "racially unmixed"; please note that پاک mostly means "clean" not "unmixed"). خلص is not commonly used in mainstream Persian, at least anymore in case it was at a time. خالص is still used in racial topics.

By the way, as far as I understand, terms like "purebred" or "full-blooded" may be perceived as offensive in English, especially for indigenous people. What adjective do they use in English to connote this concept?

sehrehalal

English - US
    Hi Treaty, thanks very much for this. Is اره شده something you would see in another context, or is this just a bit of literary license used by Najdi?

As to your question, I would say 'purebred' is more likely to be offensive as we primarily use it for animals. I would say most people would not be offended if you said '100%' as in 'I'm 100% Irish'. I can't say if 'full-blooded' is offensive or not, to me (as a white person) it doesn't seem particularly offensive, but it is always best to ask someone who is a member of the group in question.

fishcurl

Persian
    Hi Treaty, thanks very much for this. Is اره شده something you would see in another context, or is this just a bit of literary license used by Najdi?
    Definitely "literary licence", in my humble view. It is supposed to convey the grating sensation one feels when one becomes aware of the way the native tribes of the continent were treated by the pioneers.

ali likes the stars

German, Persian
    Definitely "literary licence", in my humble view. It is supposed to convey the grating sensation one feels when one becomes aware of the way the native tribes of the continent were treated by the pioneers.
    Interestingly in German, though it may not be so common, it is no problem to say "he was sawn off his community" (Er wurde von seiner Gemeinde abgesägt.) In English sawn off is primarily used for shotguns, I think :)

fishcurl

Persian
    In Persian the most common and matter-of-fact way to put it is to go for kande shodan (کنده شدن), as in this example:
    اَز پِیِ حَملِه ی مُغول، بِسیاری از شاعِرانِ ایران از زادبومِ خود کنده شدند و به هِند هِجرَت کَردَند
    Following the attack by the Mongolian [warriors], many Iranian poets had to desert their homeland and emigrate to India.

< Previous | Next >