Persian: از هميشه versus بيش از پيش

< Previous | Next >

Pathawi

English - USAian
I've been working through Wheeler M. Thackston's An Introduction to Persian, and got caught on the following sentence:

ديشب من از هميشه بشتر درس خواندم.

I hadn't seen از هميشه before, and I don't think it occurs previously in Thackston's book. I take the sentence to mean: 'Last night I studied harder than ever.' Is this correct?

Thackston elsewhere gives the phrase بيش از پيش with the meaning 'more than ever'. Could one say?: ديشب من بش از پيش درس خواندم. Is there a difference in the sense of these phrases?

Much thanks.

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    What's the page number in the book please?

The sentence.... ديشب من بیشتر از هميشه درس خواندم means..

Last night I studied more than ever.

An example of this type of sentence from the net is the following.

بیشتر از همیشه دوستت دارم

I love you more than ever.

بيش از پيش literally means "more than before".

ديشب من بیش از پيش درس خواندم

Last night I studied more than before.

As there is no limit placed on the word "before", one can deduce that the sentence means...

Last night I studied more than ever.

Last edited:

Pathawi

English - USAian
    Qureshpor: This is very helpful. Thank you much! The sentence is the first in Review II on page 66 of the fourth edition of the book. The phrase بيش از پيش is explained in §31.5 in lesson 8, running from page 51–52.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Thank you Pathawi. I have had a look at p66 of the book and the sentence is written as you have posted, namely...

ديشب من از هميشه بیشتر درس خواندم۔

I wrote the sentence as:-

ديشب من بیشتر از هميشه درس خواندم

It would be good to get the views of mother tongue speakers to see if these sentences are identical in meaning or whether they have a slightly different connotation.

AidaGlass

Persian-Iran
    Hello. "بیشتر از همیشه" means the same thing as "از همیشه بیشتر", but the former is used far more commonly than the latter. To me, there's only a subtle difference in emphasis (if any), "از همیشه بیشتر" is a tiny bit more emphatic.
    "بیش از پیش" is a formal phrase mostly found in formal contexts/writings such as scientific articles, news, etc. In some cases, it would translate as "increasingly" in English. Don't use بیش از پیش in informal settings.

Last edited:

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    ديشب من از هميشه بیشتر درس خواندم۔

ديشب من بیشتر از هميشه درس خواندم
    These should be translated as "I studied more/harder than usual", هميشه in this context is interchangeable with معمول/usual for something that's done often like studying.

< Previous | Next >