Persian: اغمام

PersoLatin

UK
Persian - Iran
Yesterday I received a text which had this word in it, from the context it was obvious that the sender meant غم‌ها “sorrows”, I can’t find it in any online dictionary, is اغمام plural (broken) of غم “sorrow”, a legitimate Arabic word with the meaning in question, and if not, is it still used or should it be used in Persian with that meaning?

Last edited:
  • Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Yesterday I received a text which had this word in it, from the context it was obvious that the sender meant غم‌ها “sorrows”, I can’t find it in any online dictionary, is اغمام plural (broken) of غم “sorrow”, a legitimate Arabic word with the meaning in question, and if not, is it still used or should it be used in Persian with that meaning?
    The only plural that I can see for Gham (sorrow) is Ghumuum غُمُوم. An error on the sender's part, perhaps.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    The only plural that I can see for Gham (sorrow) is Ghumuum غُمُوم. An error on the sender's part, perhaps.
    Many thanks, that makes much more sense, the actual word used was اغمامتان "your sorrows" which to me looked very odd.

My first reaction was not if اغمام was incorrect but the fact that an Arabic plural was used with a Persian possessive/plural suffix, but that combination does occasionally appear in official media e.g. اخبارتان

Qureshpor

My first reaction was not if اغمام was incorrect but the fact that an Arabic plural was used with a Persian possessive/plural suffix, but that combination does occasionally appear in official media e.g. اخبارتان
    An example from the net.

بهترین برادران شما آن است که عیوبتان را به شما آشکارا بگوید

Qureshpor

Exactly, however عیب هایتان is the consistent style.
    I personally can't see any logical reasoning why an Arabic broken plural, especailly when it takes less space, would not be deemed fit to be attached to a Persian possessive suffix.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    We can’t avoid so many Arabic words in Persian but we can & should stop Arabic grammatical rules creeping into it, of course this is my personal view as an Iranian Persian speaker.

This is not a nationalistic sentiment, languages should stay simple, introducing unfamiliar rules, beit Latin or Arabic in this case, alienates the majority and creates a sophisticated version of the language which the average person on the street can not fully understand, only writers, poets, lawyers, linguists & politicians benefit from it & there you have the perfect recipe for a two tier society.

Qureshpor

We can’t avoid so many Arabic words in Persian but we can & should stop Arabic grammatical rules creeping into it, of course this is my personal view as an Iranian Persian speaker.

This is not a nationalistic sentiment, languages should stay simple, introducing unfamiliar rules, beit Latin or Arabic in this case, alienates the majority and creates a sophisticated version of the language which the average person on the street can not fully understand, only writers, poets, lawyers, linguists & politicians benefit from it & there you have the perfect recipe for a two tier society.
    I shall stop a separate thread.