Persian: الکی

Nooj

English - Aus-NZ
If a person is described as 'آدم الکی خوشِ', what kind of person are they? What is the meaning of this phrase?

• PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    'آدم الکی خوشِ
    Describes a person who's apparently happy & positive despite misfortunes, so a "Happy go lucky" person.

الکی is applied to a claim/statement that has no apparent reason or proof (made-up, false), it is also used to falsely label a legitimate claim/statement, as false

Last edited:

ali likes the stars

German, Persian
    الکی is applied to a claim/statement that has no apparent reason or proof (made-up, false), it is also used to falsely label a legitimate claim/statement, as false
    I've always wondered wether الکی has anything to do with a sieve الک with the meaning of "you can't carry any water with it" in a metaphorical sense of "it's no good/ you won't get far with it/ it's useless".

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    I've always wondered wether الکی has anything to do with a sieve الک with the meaning of "you can't carry any water with it" in a metaphorical sense of "it's no good/ you won't get far with it/ it's useless".
    I believe that's exactly where it comes from, as you say, آب در الک آوردن/carrying water in a sieve i.e. not carrying any water at all.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >